Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ON MY 69 MACH1 I USE SUNOCO 94 WITH THE 100 ACTANE RACE GAS, MY TANK IS I THINK 20 GALS SO I PUT IN LITTLE OVER HALF WITH THE 94 THEN THE REST WITH THE RACE GAS ABOUT 10 GALS BECAUSE MY 408 STROKER PINGS A LITTLE TIMING MUST BE UP HAD IT TUNED BY A RACE GUY PLUS I HAVE 2 LIGHT SPRINGS ON THE DIST CURVE , SHOULD I HAVE PUT ONE LIGHT AND ONE HEAVY INSTEAD OF 2 LIGHT HE SAID IT WAS COMING IN TO LATE WITH THE CAM, COMP IS ABOUT 10.50 64CC HEADS SHOULD I JUST GO HALF AND HALF ON FUEL OR CHANGE SPRINGS. THINK MY TOTAL TIMING IS 36 DEGREES HAVE TO CHECK IT WHEN I BRING IT OUT OF HIBERNATION LIVE IN NJ THANKS.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just try av gas at 100 octane or racing fuel which is 104 plus!!! Don't mix 94 and 100!! You just come out at about 97 octane and you may need a bit more on what your CAMSHAFT profile is!!YOUR camshaft makes the difference on compression ratio!! PLEASE try aviation gas at 100 octane first!! Go to any airport for smaller jets and you can get it! OR use your 100 you were talking about!!

·
Registered
107 Posts
If you use straight av. gas you must richen up your carb...or you could run too lean....Russ...

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
The 2 lightest springs bring total timing in the quickest. Ping would be caused by not enough octane/too much compression/too much timing too soon or a combination of all those. The real fix for this is in the octane. Backing down timing only hurts your performance. Generally, you want all the timing in by around 3500 rpms unless its some sort of towing mule or a really heavy car.

·
Registered
51 Posts
<font color="blue">Is you dist. an MSD? I had to use one light spring and one med. With two light springs, the weights on the advance would hang open! Also, if your going to spend the time and money to track down 10 gallons of 100*, just fill it with straight 100*, your motor will thank you!
</font>

<font color="blue">GOD BLESS AMERICA</font>
<font color="red">USAF #1 in overnite delivery!</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 1FAST67 on 4/2/02 7:35am ]</font>

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
have ford duraspark eletronic with msd 6al two light springs maybe i'll change one to heavy. also 100 race gas is about 3.99 a gal that was last year,dont know how much is the av gas, is that safe to use ,i heard its not good to use that gas only for jets.check out bad ass engines .com there something he said about av gas.keep you guys posted.

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
what is your comp ratio. what is your total advance timing,timing set at idle, where are you at to sea level.
My 302,with 13.5 to 1 comp. we have a total of 38* to 40* deg of timing at idle set 14* but at 5950' above sea level we run 109 oct.race fuel. A SBF always likes a lean mix to build HP

Alan

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
10.50 on comp ratio 64cc heads i think total is around 36 degrees base timing dont know off hand 6 or 8 have to check it all out again car has been sitting all winter im in nj right now im am putting on eletric fan and putting battery in trunk also ordered my full roller c-4 from jpt which is going to be great instead of my fmx. cant wait to fire this sucker up this year. ps engine is a 408 windsor.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts