Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok to start, several tracks that I have run at require mufflers and some have max db limits between 105 and 110 measure at track side (about 50 ft or so). That said i previously had dynomax bullets on 3 inch exhaust but was over the db limit (@121db). Car ran great with them as the are bassically just a wide open tube. So i had to make a change. Went to the 2 chamber race flowmaster to quiet down a little. well it did quiet the car down, which was great but i can easily say that they dont FLOW. Car slowed down around 3 tenths. Did some tuning to adjust to the drastically increased exhaust pressure and ended up right at 2 tenths. 2 tenths is crazy for a muffler change. Again, 3 inch, same location dumped right before the axle. Does anyone have any recomendations based on what you have. the car is going to be loud. I understand that. I just need to keep it reasonable and have a muffler. what do you all run on your race cars. any suggestions.

·
Registered
7,455 Posts
Do NOT use a chambered muffler, as they cost too much power. You'd probably lose 50 hp. You NEED a muffler you can see straight through.

'See through' mufflers absorb sound instead of baffling it. The larger the case, and longer the muffler... the quieter they are. The bullets do basically NOTHING. lol They are too short, and don't have anywhere near enough packing to absorb much sound. They are pretty much an 'excuse' of a muffler. lol

What you need, is a bigger, longer 'see through' muffler. Find the biggest, longest one that will fit under you car, and you'll be AMAZED at how much quieter it is! It doesn't need to be 'name brand', either. Summit sells some house brands that are very affordable. You just need to see if they have one that is large/long enough. Go to the websites, and do your research as to what is available.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I agree that chambers muffler suck on anything high flow. just had to pull the trigger on something cuz i was in the points race and had already been kicked out. ended up killing me in the end but oh well. I am hoping that one of the stock or superstock type guys (that test and tunes at a local track) may have a recomendation on a brand. i have been researching and have found some that may work. Just not sure and really am getting tired of cutting and welding on exhaust. Naturally aspirated power can be a little tricky and these guys definately know what works and what doesnt.

·
Registered
7,455 Posts
Thanks. I agree that chambers muffler suck on anything high flow. just had to pull the trigger on something cuz i was in the points race and had already been kicked out. ended up killing me in the end but oh well. I am hoping that one of the stock or superstock type guys (that test and tunes at a local track) may have a recomendation on a brand. i have been researching and have found some that may work. Just not sure and really am getting tired of cutting and welding on exhaust. Naturally aspirated power can be a little tricky and these guys definately know what works and what doesnt.
Your only choice is something you can see through... and you'd be surprised how well one of those mufflers works. You just need to choose one with a decent case size and enough length. These two factors make a HUGE difference... far more than you would think. Some people have even removed the longer mufflers because they were too quiet. lol

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Make sure the louvers inside the muffler are facing out.......towards the exhaust exit!!(y)

I was "schooled" on this by Lucian Donofrio (the KING of glass packed mufflers) when fabricating my side pipes for the Cobra Replica!! :unsure:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Most of the race quality ones don't have louvers but actually a perforated inner pipe that is the same size i.d. as the connection so as to not restrict flow

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Any other suggestions based on experience. I'm sure you guys have something you've used before

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
I use 4 mufflers. I run a 3.5" tube dynomax race bullet on both sides and neck it down to 3" tube after the bullets. Then I run 18" oval Jones Max flow straight thru mufflers. It is quieter than just the bullets and yet doesn't affect performance over just the race bullets. A bonus is that the Jones Max Flows are stainless and cost less than $50 each. I drive it on the street like this sometimes and doubt I'd ever get pulled over unless I'm at max acceleration. Often I remove the Jones mufflers and replace it with a section of 3.5" tube straight pipe to the axle since I like the loud experience at the tracks we race at. Band clamps make it a quick and easy swap.

If I really want to quiet it down I also have a set of necked down to 2 1/2" tailpipes for the street (not enough room for 3" pipes or I would have went that route.) The tailpipes quiet it down enough that I can hear the radio at a normal volume and can also have a normal conversation with a front seat passenger. We're talking the same 700+ hp small block with 1 7/8" tube headers that gets spun to 8K at the track.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts