Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys I have a 71 torino gt with a 351c and c-6. I and trying to convert to rack and pinion steering. I found a magazine that showed a conversion on a 69 mustang that mounted the rack by making a new cross member. I just looked under my car and there is a weld in cross member. Does anyone have an idea of how to mount the rack. Thanks

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Ive been wanting r&p steering in my 68 Fairlane for along time. Total Control Products is testing a kit right now for the Fairlane. It will be harder for the Torino/Fairlane for a kit cuz of the welded in cross member and alignment, so it has to be right. You could call a Rod and Custom shop for some help, but they are into doing it themselves for the safety aspect of it. Good luck.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Rod and Custom Motorsports (I believe is the correct name) sells these kits. The kit converts the suspension to the Mustang II type which also eliminates your shock towers. You can get a tubular A-arm system as well. These kits appear to be complete including spindles, discs, calipers, brake hoses, the R&P, crossmember, cover plates for the shock tower holes, etc. I have seen the basic kit for just over $2000, and the tubular A-arm kit for $2600. Compare these to Total Control who wants ~$2500 for steering only - no brakes or spindles or anything.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Did you ever convert to rack and pinon? Or has anyone else out there seen or odne this?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts