Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to keep the stock type suspension and ad a Mustang II type crossmember so that I can bolt on a Rack And Pinion system? Would I still have to cut the fire wall?
Thank You
Kenny

·
Registered
739 Posts
Stock is rear steer (steering arm is behind the spindle) and MII is front steer. You can try and adapt a BMW 320i but it is by no means a simple deal.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So i guess changing the spindle wont work huh?
Kenny

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
or if I get a front steer spindle then will it work?
Kenny

·
Registered
739 Posts
If you were able to adapt some front steer spindles to the Mustang upper and lower arms, the MII rack would necessitate all kinds of changes under the car. The rack would need to go right where the oil pan's front sump is. The MII front suspension swap necessitates a rear sump pan.
I went to google.com and did a search and a guy on a vintage mustang e-mail group (sort of a stilted forum) has been trying for months to come up with a simple system. He has stuck with a rear-steer rack (out of a dodge or chebby) but has chased all the bits and pieces all over hell and gone. No easy answers on this one.

·
Registered
739 Posts
http://www.mustangshack.com/frameset.html?thestory

This is the guy who threw a 320i BMW jy rack into his 65. I tried to e-mail him to see if he had any bump steer but never got a response. RPM got one of these racks and determined that they change the geometry of the front end with possible negative effects. Wanna be the guinea pig?
Of course there is a setup already out there for $1,000+. Just charge it. Total Control Products http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2000/01/rack/index.shtml

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: R Code on 4/17/02 12:02pm ]</font>

·
Registered
107 Posts
A few years ago there was an article in I believe mustangs illustrated about a guy who adapted a PS rack from a 88 Taurus to a '70 Mustang. He used Mustang II manual steering tie rods which bolted right up to the stock spindles. The rack was mounted to a custom made bracket which took the place of the tubular crossmember one finds on a 67-70 Mustang/Cougar and the rack was positioned basically where the stock centerlink would be.

Steve S.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So what if I get front steer spindles and a sump pan from a 5.0, then do you think the adaption with the rack and pinion and mustang II crossmember will work with regular mustang upper and lower comtrol arms? What other fabrications will be needed? The gaol here is to come up with a nice neat system that doesnt cost the world and a rack that can be replaced if need be. The cross member will help strenghten the front end while supporting the rack.
what do you guys think.
Kenny

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I have a Chevy Cavalier rack in my garage. I think it is the closest OEM rack to the TCP one. it mounts on the firewall of the Cavalier. I couldnt find a idler arm for my car, so I was considering putting this on my car. i found a idler arm. But someday I may get the rack to fit. Just go to the junkyard and look at it to see what I mean.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I applaud you for your efforts Kenny. I can't believe that with the way Detroit builds cars (each one has it's own parts front to rear)a setup as you describe isn't available. Guess I'm just weak as I finally threw in the towel and bought a Flaming river box. One area of concern with your idea is the early Mustang has a forward strut rod and the MII has rear. May be interference. Good luck, Bob.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ive seen the Flaming river box in magazines but how does it help? is it some sort of soultion between the rack and the stock systems?

As far as the crossmember and rack goes I may need to have a shop fabricate one of my own design to compensate for all of the things that are making this difficult, But..

if the Flaming river box is a good enough solution then I might go that way? more research is needed.
Kenny

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Can some one do me a favor and post a picture of the underside of a stock 67-68 mustang if possible so i can visually see the task ahead of me.
thanks
Kenny

·
Registered
739 Posts
Hate to sound like the no man, but 5.0 spindles (Fox-body) are entirely different as they are used with a strut system, so there is no upper a-arm and of course no upper ball joint.
But if you were to find a front steer spindle and went with the rear sump pan, you would need to relocate the crossmember that bolts to the framerails just behind the current front sump pan.
Anybody have the article on the Taurus/Sable rack conversion? Love to read it.

·
Registered
739 Posts
That is the GM rack conversion. Fairly ugly but similar to the TCP setup and bumpsteer free.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
this may sound stupid but, can mustang II spindles be used with stock upper and lower control arms? i think there smaller right?
Kenny

·
Registered
146 Posts
The Flaming River boxes are an improved design over the stock box. It is a new casting and uses neddle roller bearings. According to users that own them on this message board and on other Ford boards they are much tighter than a rebulit stock box and give a nice "on-center" feel that rack and pinion systems do not. If front end rigidity is your worry Maier Racing [www.maierracing.com] makes a triangular shock tower brace similar to the ones available for late model Mustangs, Pro Motorsports makes a shock tower renforcement kit and of course you can always put in subframe connectors and a roll cage. Personally when I can afford it I am going with a Flaming River box, fabbing up a rack and pinion seems like too much trouble and the TCP rack is now up to $1400 (thanks mustangs plus
)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jimbo on 4/19/02 5:09am ]</font>

·
Registered
165 Posts
How about this idea, I posted this some time ago and got a mixed response. here it goes again. how about converting over to a strut front end kind of like this one
http://www.fatmanfab.com/fm-17.htm
that Fatman Fabrications did for a Chevy II nova as these cars have very similar front suspensions what do you think? I think that I would like to do some measuring and see what the possibilities are.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Tim R on 4/19/02 9:26am ]</font>

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wow, never thought about that. I dont know how feasible it may be but anything is possible. What did everyelse on the board say tim?
Kenny

·
Registered
165 Posts
Got mixed responses most I don't think understood the concept that well and thought it was more work than it was worth, but I have seen one of these setups on a nova and I think it is just the coolest idea I have every seen. after posting this last night I went out and measured my Fox Mustang track width and my Maverick track width they are less that 3 inchs difference between them and the Maverick could stand to be a little wider anyway so I think it would be very doable. Could remove the shock towers almost completely and have enough room for BBF maybe. the Nova setup is so simple I wish I had thought of it first. Would need to be a good fabricator to do this type of swap, but I think that if a guy could work it all out and prove the worth of it a guy could sell a bunch of them to fello Ford lovers, lots of Mustang, Falcon, Maverick. Comet, Torino and others all used the same basic shock tower type front ends that could use this type of setup instead. I need to shut up now, as I talk to long.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Tim R on 4/20/02 5:47am ]</font>

1 - 20 of 20 Posts