Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here done this conversion?

If so, could you share what components from which kit did you use, and how was the process of creating mounting points

Any modification to the steering column?

·
Registered
390 Posts
mikro, I'm putting a rack and pinion in my 65, which has a 67 frame the same frame. There is no kit for this project. I build my on bracket. I got a flamming river rack FR 40020. I'm still have some work to do. When i get the body back on and everything on it, then I can check the bump steer. I have two 65 that I'm doing it too. If you go to my web site rcchesnutt.smugmug.com and click on r galaxie you will see where i'm at. on that one I cut 2 inch out of the croos member so my steering would clear the headers. On the other I will not have to do that, because I will be building the headers. With this rack you have too have Mustang II long shaft tie rod ends. The bracket I build goes on real easy and five bolts hold it in place. I got to make my pattern once it all done.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mikro, I'm putting a rack and pinion in my 65, which has a 67 frame the same frame. There is no kit for this project. I build my on bracket. I got a flamming river rack FR 40020. I'm still have some work to do. When i get the body back on and everything on it, then I can check the bump steer. I have two 65 that I'm doing it too. If you go to my web site rcchesnutt.smugmug.com and click on r galaxie you will see where i'm at. on that one I cut 2 inch out of the croos member so my steering would clear the headers. On the other I will not have to do that, because I will be building the headers. With this rack you have too have Mustang II long shaft tie rod ends. The bracket I build goes on real easy and five bolts hold it in place. I got to make my pattern once it all done.
Amazing work!
I looked at all the photos, and the bracket looks well built

Let me know how the bump steer goes, I would definitely like to do this conversion if it all works out for you.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Randy, what steering pump do you plan on using? The stock non rack pumps have way to much PSI for the rack setup. Or are you just going to use a restriction valve?

·
Registered
390 Posts
I have not made it to that part. Got to start looking at it. Have to many irons in the fire. Trying to get the car ready for the paint booth. Will let you know.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Randy, I am new to this site and I sent you a private message but it must not have gotten to you. Anyway, Im building up my 66 Galaxie from the frame up and want to do this rack and pinion project on mine too. Have you bolted yours up yet? Any pics? I started up a little blog/webpage for my project if you like to see it on the link below.
66 Galaxie Project

·
Premium Member
5,865 Posts
Mustco94, that is an impressive body of work you have there. Good to see someone here who is likely to actually walk the walk. Randy is another DOer and there are plenty more here, too. Some have made the 390-460 swap. Good luck.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Thanks puttster..... I've been wanting to do this for a long time. I'm def not rushing things because I want to make it right. After I get this front end worded out and painted I'm going to start on the engine. The body is at a buddies shop being worked on currently too.

Sent from my ADR6400L using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
390 Posts
I'm allmost finished my fabrications dwg. It's a easy bracket to build. It takes four bolts to mount it to the cross menber cross menber. It allso made that you can hook your winch cable to it, to winch the car on the trailer. I will look at my web site rcchesnutt.smugmug.com and see what pictures I have on it and see if I need to add some more pictures. I just looked at my photos and found the best pictures for the bracket is on galaxie l. Working on to many 65s.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts