Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering a Total Control rack and pinion for my 67 Mustang conv. It will have a 5.0 engine and T-5 using Windsor-Fox parts.
As I understand the engine is setback about 3/4". I need to know if this setback will cause a clearance problem with the rack.
Have not been able to get an answer from either vendor.
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Be patient with the vendors. It may take a couple of days to get an answer via e-mail. A phone call will usually get the answer you need. Seems like one of the mustang magazines did an article on the project you're doing. I don't recall them mentioning any problem with rack interference. It did appear that this was pretty involved and not as simple a "bolt on" as some vendors would have you believe. E-mail me if you need any more info on the article and I'll see if I can't dig it out for you.

·
Registered
122 Posts
You might call Mustangs Plus and ask for a copy of their last flyer. They are now distributers for TCP. The flyer has pictures of the TCP rack installed. They might also be open to your questions. They have always been helpful to me. You might also look in the archives here for the R&P install they did a couple of years ago. There a lot of pictures that might help. a 1.5" setback might cause a problem.

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
67 stang, the engine is set back because Windsor Fox likes to do it, to help with front/rear distribution and to gain fan-to-radiator clearance. They claim they can set it back by 1.5" without problem. Anyhow that is the information in the book <U>Ford Windsor Small-Block Performance</U> on page 110 about retrofitting a 5.0L into an early Mustang.

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
67 stang, the engine is set back because Windsor Fox likes to do it, to help with front/rear distribution and to gain fan-to-radiator clearance. They claim they can set it back by 1.5" without problem. Anyhow that is the information in the book <U>Ford Windsor Small-Block Performance</U> on page 110 about retrofitting a 5.0L into an early Mustang.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Are you saying because your car is a convertable that the motor is set back towards the firewall further than a coupe or fastback? That on the surface does not sound accurate. Did I miss something?

If you are saying the motor and trans will be set back due to the 5.0 and T-5, I would have to say from my personell experience that is not true,atleast in the case of my 65, the motor and tranny sat right where they were supposed to

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
68 stang - I have the Ford Windsor Small-Block Performance Book. This is a great reference. It also says the set back allows the shifter to be centered in the existing hole in the floor. I did talk with TCP and they have seen the converstion with the rack and they say no problem with clearence with 3/4" set back.

nastystang - It's interesting that you had no problem with your 65. I would think it would be the same for the 67 as they both have the same engine/trans combos from the factory.

Thanks for the feedback. This is my first posting and all your comments have been very helpful.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts