Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rack & Pinion Steering. The story from the guy that invented it for the Galaxies and Big F

Hi all! My name is Rick Wurth owner of Wurth-It designs. I've been hearig all kinds of rumors and stories about me, my wife and my company. So here is the deal. My wife and I were on a trip last Nov. 11th. 05 to Los Angeles to do the T.V show Wrecks to Riches, we got a late start so we decided to spend the night in Saint George, Utah. We arrived there a little after 10 P.M. and checked in. While I was putting the luggage in our room my wife decided to walk our little dog. The next thing I know my cell phone rang, I answered and there was stranger on the phone, he told me my wife was laying out in the street and was in really bad shape. I ran out to the back of the motel and found my wife laying in the street with a small crowd around her. Apparently while she was talking with another gal with a dog our dog was running around my wife's legs wrapping the leash around her as he did so. When my wife went to take a step foward she was tripped up by the leash and was flipped off a five foot high wall down to the street below. She landed on the edge of a curb and snapped and shattered her Femur ( the largest bone in your body)They did a 7 hour surgery the next morning and we were stuck there for more than two weeks. The first six months was total hell for my wife and me. She was not healing and at the time and I had nobody to help me take care of my wife. I bathed her, picked up to go to the restroom, cooked, cleaned, and made rack and pinions as fast as I could under the circumstances. She then had to go through a second surgery which also failed, this put me back further but I have slowly begun to catch up on my orders. It is true that I got far behind and I will not try to hide that fact. I tried on several ocasions to hire competent help but it seems that most every body you hire is on Crack or Meth. I don't need that crap in my life. I continue to work hard at filling orders and taking care of my wife who is about to go through another surgery (the 3rd in less than a year!) I'll have help this time from my daughter who has taken a year off from C.S.U. Fort Collins to help me with her mother and my business. When nobody was able or willing to come up with a rack and pinion conversion that worked for the Big Fords, I DID! I was getting praises from the Ford owners and magazines constantly! Now that I am having some major health issues concerning my wife, it appears people do not care or understand, and do not want to.
Before My wife's accident I was working on a deal to supply Concours with my rack system, obviously I could not come through. They told me they knew of someone that had my rack system in there Ford and they would just copy it. Guess they don't have enough brains to come up with their own design. It will take awhile but my wife to recover... meanwhile I'm getting caught up, I've got more prototypes for different Fords completed, and things will get back to normal. I really appreciate all my customers and I really do understand why some of them became irriitated when delivery dates were not met. I hope that they can understand that I just could not leave my wife unattended or uncared for. If any of you have any questions you can talk to me personally at (970) 434-7123 Thanks for taking the time to read this! www.wurthitdesigns.com

·
Registered
830 Posts
Rack & Pinion Steering. The story from the guy that invented it for the Galaxies and Big F

Please acept my depest sympathy. We live in a world were people forget that there are The more important things in life. Family comes first. I comend you. I hope all goes well with the surgery, we will keep you in our prayrs.
What a display of unselfisness and love .

·
Registered
1,442 Posts

Dude i hope people understand this and things work out for you, your wife and your business.

I've heard great things about your systems, **** all the haters.

Family first, everything else is secondary

Take care brother

L

·
Registered
14 Posts

nice to hear from you rick to let us know whats up hope your wife is getting better and your costumers understand know good luck richard

·
Premium Member
212 Posts

My 2 yr old kid just broke her femur and it sucked. I can't even try to understand how much harder it would have been if it was my wife. Sorry to hear what happened. Hang in there man!

Let me know if you are thinking about a 64 Fairlane kit. NO RUSH.... Like the others said, family first, everything else can wait.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts

Thank you for the feedback, haven't bought one of your systems yet, I have a 65 Gal. Glad you can come here and open up. Kinda cool.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts

Thank you for the feedback, haven't bought one of your systems yet, I have a 65 Gal. Glad you can come here and open up. Kinda cool.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I have to make a correction, It was not Concours I was dealing with but Dearborn Classics that wants to copy my rack system. My appologies to Concours. I'm kinda tired lately so that's where the mistake comes into play. Thank's for the encouraging input. Guess that's why I deal with Ford people. It's easy to build a GM car, takes some fordtitude to build a FORD!
Rick

·
Administrator
21,759 Posts

Rick, I like that GM comment. That's what I told a young guy that worked at one of the local Napa auto parts here when he made a comment about Fords being so difficult. I told him you have to earn the right to own a Ford and be willing to give it your time. A GM, you can go to any junkyard and find parts anywhere. Yeah I know, it was evil, but it irritated me so thought I could comment also.

Hope your wife's surgery is sucessful this time and everything gets back to normal. Kudos for making family first!

Deb

·
Registered
4,520 Posts

I'll always have respect for the guy that creates something that everyone wants, but were "too" busy to do.

The human face you put on your personal burdens and the casual way some company (or indivduals) see nothing wrong with copying your kit...with little or no regard to recognise your efforts...if it was so easy, - why hadn't it been done before? I guess any Yahoo with a welder and your parts list, measurement and some pictures can reproduce it and brag at how easy it is....yeah, NOW its easy.

Best wishesfor sucessful end this time on your wifes procedure and a rapid and trouble free recovery. You have raised a careing Daughter, not all young people are so loyal as to put their life on hold and tend to those that gave them life.

Keep up the good fight getting your business back on track. You can bet there is a Market for your racak and pinion conversions, especially in this Galaxie.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts

I agree with everything said above about family being the reason we live and that business is just that...business. I hope nothing I have said or posted lead anyone to believe otherwise.

Rick, you had/have a great idea with these conversions. Things ($h!+) happens and you have to deal with it. You are dealing with your families problems first, as you should, and then worrying about work if you have time. Somebody needing a steering conversion in a specified time frame is of little signifigance compared to the health of the one we spend our lives with.

I spoke with you shortly after your wifes accident and have said a prayer for your family when ever I have read anything posted or printed about your conversions. I feel for you and your plight of having a truely ingenious concept but not the time to realize it's full potential. Maybe everything will fall into line in the future. If not, you have invested your time in the place you'll receive the best returns. FAMILY. Best wishes.

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts

Rick,

You have had some tough times these past couple of years. More than you have shared here. I hope you and your wife are doing well.

As you can see, everyone sympathizes and understands your position. What they don't know, and what I have a problem with is you have taken customers' money in full and not delivered a product for 4-13 months in some cases. If you gave the money back and told us you would get back to us when things are going better we would understand.

Keeping someone's money is not right no matter what the situation is.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Kevin,
Good to hear from you! Hope your wife is doing well also! If something bad happens to you or her hope you have more help than I had. Before you make lousy comments about someone, try being in their shoes first. My wife has cried many times because she felt she had ruined the business. At least I don't call a ton of Ford vendors out there trying to get freebies for my car! As I said before I never tried to hide the fact that I got far behind or had customers money, what you have no clue to is how much was returned to customers. Many customers recieved free parts to show my appreciation for their patience. You may be pissed at me and that's OK... but your still driving that starliner with my design in it.
My wife is having her third surgery on Oct. 24. Maybe you can come over here and help take care of her while I'm out in the shop building rack and pinion conversions. I coming down to Poway/San Diego early next year looking forward to meeting face to face PARD!

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts

I am not pissed at you at all. You owe me nothing. You make a great product too. I just don't like seeing people I recommended to you being out of pocket for 13+ months.

Look for a freebie coming your way in the next week (no joke, see other thread for hint). If I was in Colorado I would come over there and help you build them for free to get caught up. As long as my car and myself are pictured on your site, I am going to speak up.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts

Any serious disagreement deserves an equally serious solution, needs to be simple and final.

I got a solution...

Hand cuffs and chainsaws at dawn! 1st man to bleed out loses, 2nd man to bleed out and the argument is over.

If it ain't that serious...then let move on to the next winter sport, writing names in the snow...no hands.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts

Rick, your posting is starting to sound a little too negative. I don't have the same problems in my life that you do and for that I am thankful. Fakesnake is not running you or your product down. He, as well as those who are still waiting for product, are concerned with the fact that people have paid you upfront and received nothing as of yet. I am in manufacturing myself and there is now way I could take a couple $k upfront and hold on to it for the period of time that has been mentioned. Getting defensive about as you are doing only makes things worse. There is no legitimate reason for holding someone's money for that length of time. They paid you in good faith and actually have no guarantee that you will come through. If you paid me a couple $K for something and I hadn't produced for you, you would be pi$$ed. As a group, the guys and gals on this forumn are very good people and sympathetic your plight. However, I tell you what my customers tell me when I am a day or two late on delivery because of equipement or employee problems. "That is YOUR problem, not MINE!" The point is "Yeah, you got dealt a shi++y hand right now, but that is not your customers problems. It is your problem. Fake is right in how he feels. He has not stated anything that was a lie. He told people that you make a great product but that some people he knew of had prepaid for the product over a year ago and still hadn't received anything.

I hope this post doesn't set you off. It's not being written to do that. You explain yourself and your problems so people can walk in your shoes. You need to turn that around and walk in their's a few miles too. You wouldn't be happy about paying for stuff and not getting it. If you paid me for trusses for your house and then I didn't build them for over a year so your house sat exposed to the elements with no head way for most of that time and I gave you free tar paper to smooth it over, would you be happy?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: gbeeler on 10/19/06 10:42am ]</font>

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

There's no serious disagreement here, it's just easy for people to make judgements without knowing the whole picture. To put it simply my wife has almost died on me twice (brain tumors). After a long and arduous recovery she thought she felt good enough to take the trip to LA. Unfortunately she took a bad fall and our lives were changed in a instant again. I love my wife! I'm going to do the best I can for her. Cars are just cars they can't hug you or tell you they love you! If I have to take a bunch of crap for it then that's the way it is. I've built over three hundred rack conversions and all I have to show for it is paying outrageous Doctor, insurance, medicine, and co-pay bills. It's all been worth it because my wife's still here. To be sure some other business will hire some one to copy my conversions, then you can call a counter guy and order one, but he won't be able to tell you much more the how much it costs, he definately won't tell what you will not get for your money. I really don't like to get so personal but I since I'm getting raked over the coals... I'll speak up too! I have quite a few customers that know what it's like when a family member suffers a serious accident or illness. Your whole life changes in an instant and it can take a hell of a long time getting back to even what resembles a normal life. You can't understand it unless you've been through it. Hey! I'd love to be out there driving the cars I've built, but my wife comes first, enough said on my part.
P.S. Con Grats on the die cast Starliner

·
Registered
15 Posts

Rick

I have to agree with Kevin here. The rest of the readers need to here the whole story, not just the parts you want them to hear. I do feel bad for you and your wifes' misfortune as I have told you over the last year in numerous e-mails and voicemails. Yours' and my relationship started out strong as I am a Ford Galaxie lover as well and was very happy that someone had developed a rack and pinion conversion for these full sized Fords. When you and I first started working together I had just completed a 1960 Ford Starliner (Loliner) and was working on a 1964 Convertible and then another 1960 Starliner (Airlyner). Kevin is the one who brought you and I together because he wanted your system in his car. I made arrangements to have a technical article done in Custom Rodder Magazine so that we both could promote our businesses. As most technical articles go there are a lot of "freebies" that go around whether it is product or labor. I don't think you can put a price on the amount of feedback that you receive from a technical article. And as far as "freebies" go, how is that C-6 transmission that I gave you because you were having such a hard time finding one that would go behind a FE engine? Let's not bag on people for the connections they have and the product that they recieve in order to help out the business or company that sent it. Got a little off track there. I do believe I was the first one to let you know that someone was copying your system and trying to put it in Dearborn Classics. I think the system is great and I will admit I have copied it and have sold a couple of them. This wouldn't have been necessary except that I had already paid you for the product, the customers' car was in our shop tore down and the customer was getting anxious to get there car back. If I didn't copy it there wouldn't be a guy locally doing a 1957 Ranchero with a 4.6 mod motor right now. There wouldn't be Kirk Taylors' 1960 Sunliner running around the Bay Area. There wouldn't be Rusty Dobbs' Galaxie running the Bay Area, and there wouldn't be the Loliner which now belongs to Pat Burrell left fielder for the Philadelphia Phillies.

I guess the point I am trying to get across here is that everyone has hard times, so on a personal level I feel bad for you, but on a business level I have customers to take care of as well. I do believe that my business is one of the ones that paid you for a product back on September 21, 2005 and that check was cashed on October 5, 2005. To this date I have yet to recieve product (which I obviously don't need) or a refund check for the amount I sent you.

Hope all goes well for you.

Andre'

·
Registered
1,506 Posts

I don't think that will ever happen. Do you?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts