Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to replace my front tires, and I'm wondering if there are any issues with running radials on the front when using ET Streets on the rear. I've always heard not to mix radial and bias-ply tires, but I'm sure someone out there is running this combo. The car is street-driven. Any feedback?

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
I wouldn't do this. The "slip angle" (can't remember the correct terms) is different between them. The radial is higher than the biased ply tire. I understand you can run radials on the rear.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
I've run close to 160 at the drags in a street car with no trouble with that... but it's a chassis car that sees little street.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I have run my G60-15 Mickey Thompson s/s tires with the front tires 225/70R15. It 's not a good idea for the long run, but will work if you don't mind the car tending to "follow" cracks in the road and just generally acting "squirrely". It won't however jump out from under you and kill you instantly.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
It REALLY likes to follow the cracks in the road! I still have mine on--when cruising at about 70 they bounce a lot. If I accelerate past 70 mph the tires do not really bounce much until I cruise at that speed. I keep it 65 and under while cruising on the freeway.

Jeff Given

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
I've always run VW bug tires on the front (165/15) and have never had any problems. I ran MT Indy Profile (bias ply) tires on the back on the street, and slicks at the track at 130mph, and have never had any problems. I also run around 50-55 psi in the front tires so they don't look like they are low on air (and roll easier). ...they also have 'Firestone' written on the side of them!

Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
1970Galaxie, let me get this right. You were running Mickey Thompson Indy Profile s/s on the back and radials on the front and it acted squarlly?

Did it stop after you but bias-ply on the front?

All this time I thought it was the Detroit Locker that was making my car goosey.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was running M/T ET Fronts, and it also liked to follow the grooves in the road. Originally I chalked it up to the spool and the bias ply tires. I'm hoping it won't be any worse with radials on the front.

Thanks for all of your feedback!

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
Those VW bug front tires I mentioned above are radials. I've driven TONS of miles on the street and strip with mixed tires, and have had no problems.

Bug tires seem a little small. They have to be pumped up awfully tight. Next time, I will probably go with a 4" wheel and a slightly larger size... probably a 185/75/15 or a 195.

Good Luck!

http://www.fortunecity.com/silverstone/healey/367

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: n2omike on 4/25/02 3:43am ]</font>

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
I ran McReary dirt tires AND ET Drags on the street with radial front tires. Never have I had any pulling from the front. It's better to have radials on the front than bias ply tires. Much safer and better handling. The roumer of not mixing radials and bias plys are only true if using one of each on the same axle like running a bias and radial on the front or on the rear but as long as both axles have a matched set of tires, it doesn't matter at all other than radials on the front being best. I like wider front radials on the front so I can hit the brakes without locking up the front tires like can happen with skinnies up front. The wider front radials also holds better on the line while brake torquing at the track and staging. Wherther running bias on the back or not doesn't matter but you should always run radials on the front if possible especially driving on the street.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just an update about the tires . . . I put a set of 165R15 radials on the front, and it handles so much better now. I should have gone this route to begin with. It no longer follows the grooves in the raod the way it used to, and I can already feel the improved braking.

Thanks for the help, guys!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I go with 89 coupe. Radials on the front will help 'smooth out' the handling as far as following the road irregularities are concerned. Anything up to 205 is still not too wide to take away drag strip performance, while preserving reasonable braking, etc. What makes a car "squirrely" is if the drag slicks are run at too low an air pressure. They should be bled down until you notice that the wear pattern just reaches the edge of the 'tread'. This will be obvious if you are doing burnouts at the strip. For instance if you are running 15 psi in a set of ET Street's and there is a scuff line about a quarter inch inside of the actual edge of the contact surface, then let out some air until that scuff line is worn away and the face of the 'tread' becomes even. There is nothing to be gained by going with less pressure than it takes to accomplish this with ET Streets. Basically you want as much air in the rear tires as will still allow a full contact patch for maximum traction. This will retain the best handling characteristics while also giving the best traction.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hey, 89 Coupe. Have a question for you. You said you've run McCreary dirt track tires on the street?

A freind of mine wants to run a couple of these in back (31x10.50x15's) for bracket racing.. How'd they work? The tires he has are brand new. How long did that last?
Thanks!
Matt

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
Depends on which compound McReary's he has. I had the super gummy soft sticky ones and they don't last too long on the street especially with a spool. They seem to hook better on the street because of the rougher pavement for the soft tires to bite into than at the track where it's just smooth rubber on the lauch pad. If you do any burnout at all on the street, it shreds the tires because the compound is too soft. No burnout needed on the street and at the track only a very small burout basically just cleaning the tires off works good. I was able to run 10.40s leaving 2 long "S" shape black stripes from launch to about 100ft or so but while they spun they also hooked reasonably well giving me low 1.50s 60ft times while leaving the long black tire marks. They bit better on the street but I went to a more aggressive engine setup and bought some MT ET Drags which lasted 3 years of racing every weekend and street driving during the week with cruising thrown in on the weekends. Still have half tread left on them but they are now dry rotted. 1.32 60ft times with the ET Drags with the newer combo and since the slicks I used on the street I didn't need McReary's any more. McReary super gumbo soft dirt(not asphault) tires are good cheap $70 tires from the source your local roundy round guys get theirs from and not the open source for the streeters/quarter milers. Speed shop inflates prices and you can get them for $70 a tire elsewhere. The more bald they get(to a point) the better they work.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts