Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When I converted my 1960 Falcon from a 2.77 transmission to a 3.03, I moved the engine forward 5/8" to make the top bell housing bolts clear the firewall. I got this idea from FEandGoingBroke and I'm sure glad I listened to his advice.

Even after moving the engine this far, the top, driver's side bolt was only 3/8" from the firewall. This was alright for the bell housing bolt, but my radiator was 1/4" from the fan. This worried me, so I moved the radiator forward, by altering the mounting flange, where the radiator bolts up. The photos below shows what I did.

This photo shows notches that I cut from the top and bottom of the mounting frange, on both sides. I used a hack saw to make two cuts for the notch and broke the notch out with vice grips. I then smoothed out the edges with a file. These notches allowed the radiator to be slid down in front of the mounting flange. I added a few flat washers between the flange and the radiator. This gave me about 5/8" clearance between the radiator and the fan.

This photo shows the top passenger's side, with the notch already cut out. The RED arrow shows the original location of the radiator, and the GREEN arrow shows the new location, making it closer to the front, and further from the fan blades.

This photo shows the bolt, at the bottom of the brace, in front of the radiator. I used a shorter bolt here, so it wouldn't hit the radiator.

This last photo shows the radiator in place, on the front side of the mounting flange. Problem solved.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Your photos are not visible in your post.
I just uploaded them to an album. I can see them on this end, but I guess i have to wait until they are approved by the web site. It says below the pictures that they are moderated, what ever that means. I am a newby here. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
You didn't need to move the engine foward to make things fit. Tighten the bellhousing before you put the transmission mount on.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I did tighten the bolts while the engine and trans were droped down, but even after moving the engine forward 5/8", one of the upper bell housing bolts was only 3/8" from the firewall.

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
Unless it's hitting it I wouldn't worry about being close. Mine was pretty tight too when bolting the new engine in. I decided to use one of my step drill bits and punched a couple of holes threw the fire wall where the bolts are. It'll be much easier to pull the trans or motor next time! You can fill them in with stainless plugs after you're done.

Is there a way to just use a shorter fan spacer or something? Moving the radiator seems like a strange way to get more clearance unless you're dropping in a V10 or something. :eek:

John

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There are no fan spacers, just the pulley. It wasn't a problem to move the radiator. It probably only took 30 to 45 minutes. Can you see my photos now. They had a note by them that said they were being MODERATED. I could see them, but other people told me they could not.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
You didn't need to move the engine foward to make things fit. Tighten the bellhousing before you put the transmission mount on.

Makes sense to me.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
No, just an album, then I linked some of the photos to my thread with the URL. I can see the photos in the thread, but others can't.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I had a 1" spacer on my fan. Are you using the correct 3-piece motor? Did you have a new driveshaft made since you moved the engine forward? Does the throttle linkage fit with the new location? How about the Z-bar fitment? Why would listen to someone who thinks a 4-door looks better than a 2-door? Do you have your photo setting to share or set on private?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I had a 1" spacer on my fan. Are you using the correct 3-piece motor? Did you have a new driveshaft made since you moved the engine forward? Does the throttle linkage fit with the new location? How about the Z-bar fitment? Why would listen to someone who thinks a 4-door looks better than a 2-door? Do you have your photo setting to share or set on private?

There was no spacer on my fan. I did have my driveshaft shortened, because I changed from a 2.77 trans to a 3.03 toploader. I just had to move the throttle linkage to another hole in the lever. I had to move the bracket on the frame forward for the clutch cross-over tube. I believe my album is public. I don't know what you mean about "The correct 3-piece motor". I do have a 6 cylinder in my 1960 Falcon. Maybe that's why there was no spacer behind the fan.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts