Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,
Took my car out to hanger to install aluminum radiator and auxillery transmission cooler. I let it set for about an hour and drained the antifreeze out of car. I loosened the original fittings from the transmission expecting to see transmission fluid go everywhere. There was not a drop of transmission fluid that leaked anywhere. Not one drop.I couldn't get any out of the radiator or the lines either. I've put about 3000 miles on this setup with the Jay Broader C6 and had no problems. The transmission stick says it's full.
Shouldn't I have seen oil someplace or does it drain back into the transmission when it's shut off. I'd have thought I'd have seen something. Everything works OK though. Jim

·
Premium Member
6,074 Posts
Jim
You need you park that car someplace flat when you're working on it!

·
Registered
626 Posts
Jim,
You might have a blocked trans line, and it won't let into the cooler any fluid. I remember taking the lines off a radiator and the red trans fluid goes everywhere. Maybe all your fluid is staying in the trans, but it is not running too hot. What happens when you take the line off the transmission? Any fluid out of tranny? Where are you going to be at Carlisle? Wanna check out your 57

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jim4,
I'll be in the 57-59 Ford and Mercury section up on the hill probably. Come by, I'm taking an extra chair and I'll have the canopy up.
When I get back from Carlisle I think I will thread something through the lines or blow air through them to see what happens. On a 63 the lines come up to the radiator ( which is higher than the transmission). Even so, I thought I'd see residue of transmission fluid in the radiator tank. I will check out the lines before I fire it up again. I'd hate to think I've put @2500 miles on a transmission without cooling the transmission fluid. The fluid is bright red, it doesn't look like it's been burnt any. Jim

·
Registered
10,342 Posts
Jay probably removed the drainback valve, and after an hour, there would be no fluid in the lines. Put the return line in a pan and crank it a little bit. Fluid should be flowing or you'll cook bushings in the trans.

David

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
David,
I'll try that first. I can't imagine the lines clogged. I'll make sure transmission fluid is flowing before I button it back up. Thanks, Jim

·
Registered
626 Posts
that is great test to do David. I too cannot see a line being blocked. But your condition is odd according to my time with autos. I like the four speeds. What is your car color Jim, I will stop by. I don't guess there will be too many 57's though.

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
PSIG,
You're a damned genious. An asset to the world of motorized machinery. I'll vote for you if you run for president. I had to go out to the hanger to adjust my brakes on the 57 before the trip to Carlisle, Pa and I thought to my self. Self, lets try what David said to do. I put a hose over the end of the pressure line and put the other end into a bucket. Took the coil wire off, cranked the engine over about 5 times and WAH-LA. Bright red transmission fluid in the bucket. So the 63 Galaxie hasn't got a problem with the transmission other than I don't know how it works.
I want to take this opportunity to thank you and a lot of guys like you that we depend on to share the knowledge you guys have gained through experience. To you it may be a simple thing, but, I never thought of it. I'm like Jim4, whenever I took a transmission line off I had to clean the mess up for an hour afterward, and it was usually done with my head hair.
Also, you were vocal about getting a transmission oil temp indicator on my car. I'll look for one at Carlisle and install it when I get back.
Thanks again, Jim

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jim4,
My car is going to be decked out just the way the picture I'm attaching shows. I showed it last year with fender skirts and white walls. Please stop by, I enjoy talking about cars even if I don't know what I'm talking about. You're right about not many 57's showing up. But, the one's that do are really nice. Jim

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.