Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at the tech forum's plan for adding an mp3 player or ipod to an older ford by simply hooking up an amplifier, speakers and plugging in the mp3 or ipod to the amp. All looks well until we get to the point where it instructs to tap into an unsed fuse in the car's fuse block.

Well, my 62 Galaxie doesn't have any unused fuse slots. It's the old fuse block on the back of the head light switch set up. Is there some other way to run power to an amp and run the set up they describe in the tech forum? Could I splice into the radio's power line? The radio is only on a 14 amp circuit and those power amps run at least 40 amps continuously. That can't be good can it?

Any ideas? The plan in the forum sounds like a great way to improve audio choices without screwing around with the dash or other alterations.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Brent,
The only reason we powered the amp to "key on" 12 volts was to eliminate the chance of leaving the amp powered on when the car is off and because the draw on the amp is relatively low with just two 6x9's. Keep in mind, most amps are wired directly to continuous 12V (as in straight to the postive battery terminal). You can do this and install a switch just like we did. You just have to remember to turn off the switch when you're not using the car. Setting it up that way would allow you to power more than just two 6x9's as well. The way we have it set up is not desireable for seriouis sound systems running more than 4 speakers and a subwoofer. In msot cases you'll want to run the amp to continuous 12V.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mikelonis on 6/27/06 1:32pm ]</font>

·
Premium Member
5,910 Posts
Brentville, I'd like to read up on the tech forum's instructions but I can't find them, which tech? can you provide a link?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Many head units have a connection that runs to the amp for remote activation. You still run a separate amp power lead to 12V, but the amp is switched on/off by the head unit.

In the case of a smaller removable piece like an iPod, you're facing another deal. But there must be a simple way. If you inadvertantly leave the amp on overnight, you could wake up to dead battery.

·
Registered
120 Posts
i use a similar setup in my 63 with a discman... an amp wired as normal with the switch wire onna switch so i can turn it off when not in use, also hooked to a keyed hot wire.. works out pretty well... but if ya leave an amp .. even a small low power one on... it will force use of the old " can i getta jump"
statement...

this does work well if done right tho..... and you dont gotta chop up a beautiful dash

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I jumped into this and got some inexpensive 6x9 speakers in the package tray and got a 200 watt amp to power them. No problem running the power line from the amp to the battery terminal. But what about the remote line from the amp that would normally run to the radio head and power the amp through the radio? I'm planning on running a portbable cd player or mp3 so won't have it wired to the radio. Do I run it to the hot ignition lead? Do I just put in a switch in the power line itsef that runs to the battery to interrupt that line and turn off the amp?

And yeah I was referring the article in the latest issue of the forum. It's on the tech page

thanks

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Brent,
With just two 6x9's and a 200 watt amp do your best to find a 12V key on source and set the thing up just like we did in the article.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts