Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In the quest for a radio delete plate for my '64 Galaxie I have been amazed at the prices paid for a relatively rare item. I have seen them go for more that $200.00 at times, and I always miss the cheap ones on Ebay. I was going to build my own.

I was going through some assorted junk, and I noticed that the ribs on an old MSD 6AL box might look good as a radio delete plate. Some quick measurements told me that it would work quite well.

A cut off wheel on an angle grinder made quick work of cutting out the piece I wanted.

Here is the cut out piece.

A coat of blue enamel that matches the dash is applied and while the paint is still wet, a rag is dipped in lacquer thinner and the raised ribs are wiped clean.

Here is the finished piece waiting for some personalization.

A decal with a familiar name is dissected and used to add some flair.

A couple of original bosses will be used to secure the plate from behind.

Here is the finished piece on the dash. Cost-$00.00!!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
I have never seen such ingenuity in my life until I saw what some forum guys cook up! That is beyond awesome. It is a great way to "shout out" Fordmuscle at that. Admin, you should give this guy something.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Ken,
I agree, see the FM staff page. Tom (F15Falcon) does "freelance" for FM. He earned the opportunity because he does awesome work and documents it equally as good. :)
Cheers,
Jon

·
Registered
316 Posts
Not bad Delete plate !

Here is my solution "non delete plate" , its custom autosound radio,
with chome plastic front piece, I added some silver vinyl on it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
My delete is much simpler. I am using a flat magnet until I can buy the Shelby Delete Panel. Real easy to use. Just get a sheet (cost $1.99 at the local hobby shop) and cut to fit. Paint and finish to your liking. A FordMuscle Sticker would look great here if you want to send me a big one!!

check it out here: delete - Budget Restomod Mustang

·
Registered
580 Posts
Here,s the plate I made for my '64.

Piece of flat aluminium. Brushed finish on a belt and clear coated.

Attached pretty much the same as F15,s.

Badge is off a Fairlane 500.

·
Registered
316 Posts
why you are sending mirror image, LOL

aint`t bad that delete plate with 500 sign.

BUT sound of V8 is not enough for me..

Elvis, Stray Cats, CCR, Roy Orbison, Tom Petty, Bruce...

·
Registered
170 Posts
i was looking at the interior shot of the right hand drive car and i was like maybe it is mirror not paying attention to anything else flipped it around and the stickers and the 500 was backwords then i saw where you were from ha took me a few

1 - 11 of 11 Posts