Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So when i bought the car it had and after market stereo in it. Im wanting to replace it with a new one. What are some of the types that yall have in ur cars? Its a 64 ford galaxie fast back. If yall have any suggestions please let me know.

·
Premium Member
5,915 Posts
I built a fiberglass console and put a standard head unit in there. Truth be told I hardly ever listen to radio or CDs. Mostly I just use a USB drive with 1000 MP3s on it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In my everyday car i listen to my iphone with it pulled in. So thats why I was looking for a new head to put on it.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I have been into car audio since high school and been through many head units. My favorite is always Pioneer period. I will never buy another brand ever again! Most recently had a JVC that came in my El Camino that was a Piece of junk! I had trouble with Sony, Clarion, and also Alpine. I have a new low end Pioneer in my wagon that has a usb port and a stereo input on the front. It has worked flawless and I usually use the radio or usb flash stick. It cost me $70 on clearance at Walmart. ;)

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
I don't mean to steal this thread, but my 64's in dash replacement radio (AM/FM with cassette) died. (Radio still works.)

Do they even make radios with C's anymore? I have a ton of old cassettes that havs recorded music that I could not replace.

With my ringing ears (tinnitus), I want to keep using my present speakers.

Very loud music is no longer something I can risk without fear of my ears getting worse.

·
Registered
408 Posts

·
Administrator
21,795 Posts
You can also have that one repaired i'm sure jerry. If it's not the stock type one though i still manage to find them even at best buy. Or did last time i looked which was a year ago.

As for the original question, I built a plywood 'box' and covered it with vinyl and padding for my cb, 8 track and radio. It's not bolted down just sits there real well kinda wedged under dash and inside the edges of the console. But hit some flea markets and such and even local stereo stores and you still might find the old fashioned types with actual knobs. Sure miss knobs on radios, not as difficult to figure out when first getting one. :) Online i'm sure they have them also somewhere.

This is what i did. Nothing fancy but it works for radios and my toggle switch and now on each side i mounted power outlets for the phone and gps as my cig lighter refuses to work consistently. Oops and i modified it to add an 8 track player, forgot it wasn't in this picture.
Stereo console.jpg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts