Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We all know that Ram Air and Turbos add air to your engine. Here is my question:
Wouldn't the more air just lean out your mixture, making your engine run lean, and make it feel like you have more power? Wouldn't running your engine lean be bad? Can someone please explain to me why I am wrong or right? I know that you could adjust your fuel, but then it would run really rich at idle or low speeds, when the ram air or turbo is not doing any good?
Thanks for any inputs.
Matt

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Well, anytime you have more air, you need a corresponding increase in fuel to maintain a safe air fuel ration.

With fuel injection you tailor the fuel delivery to match the increase in air... i.e. maintaining a certain air-fuel ratio.
This is done with hardware upgrades and additions (bigger fuel pump, injectors, etc) but also controlled by the computer and sensors (02 sensors for example)
So at idle its not rich, and at wide open throttle its not lean.

On a carbed engine you try to accomplish the same by playing with the idle air/fuel bleeds, at part throttle using the primary jetting adjustments, and at wideopen throttle, compensating with appropriate secondary jet sizes.

There is obviously a little more to it... i mean with forced induction you can reference the fuel pump (or regulator) to a vacuum source, so as vacuum changes there is more fuel pumped to the engine.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Dr.Evil, my wife likes the red on your car. What color red (paint code will be nice). Hopefully you cant remeber, cuz then I'd have to paint her Fairlane that red,lol.

Rick

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rick-
I do not know the paint code. It was that color when I got it. here is a pic for your wife!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dr Evil on 3/2/02 8:55am ]</font>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts