Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ramcharger dual fans - No more overheating!

I don't have a question, I recently put in a ramcharger dual fan in my 66 Fairlane and wanted to share that experience. I had a local garage put in an aluminum radiator and because of the clearance between the fan and waterpump pulley they put a low profile electric fan. Ever since it would go great rolling down the highway but overheat sitting at an idle.

I was worried about a head, etc. since they had just replaced everything, but after testing and eliminating the major concerns, I ended up finding a $35 fan from a 96 Intrepid that is only 3 inches depth in the middle so it cleared my pulley just fine. I'm still amazed, after putting it in and testing it on a sunny day the fan had no trouble at all keeping it cool. Actually I have not even needed high speed yet, but it does cool it down even faster.

I still have to put in the temperature switches, since I just wanted to verify that it works so I only wired in some relays (another thing the garage didn't have with the last fan, wth?), and some rocker switches. Yes, it is a giant pain and a good way to overheat if you don't turn it on accidentally. Down the road I'll do it right.

Anyhow, if anybody needs a low profile electric fan, check out the early ramcharger fans. The later model fans are pretty slim also but it was cutting close for me so I went with the old style. I couldn't be happier with it, I hope this helps somebody out!

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
Are using the Intrepid fan or a ram charger fan? Do you have pics and measurements of the fans? Is this a dual fan set up like most Intrepids have?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe my terminology was bad, I had heard the dual Dodge fans referred to as "ramcharger", but not necessarily from a Ram Charger. Either way, I am using one from a 96 Intrepid. I can post some pics later today. I'll get better measurements then too. Yes, dual fans.

·
Registered
10,312 Posts
That fan's "box" is about 15" tall by 25" wide without the mounting tabs. However, the fans bulge out on the sides to an overall of about 27".

David

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Ramcharger dual fans - No more overheating!

Yep, those are the dimensions of it that David mentioned. Here are a few pictures that show the clearance problems I had. For the size and price of it, I'd say it's top notch.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts