Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 1964 Ranchero about two weeks ago with the intention of restoring it despite the fact that I have no idea what I am doing. The only reason my wife is fully supporting me in this venture is that she loves "makeovers" of just about anything.

Among the many questions, I have is which tools should I purchase? I ask this because I want to have the tools on hand, and I am refraining from starting work on the car until a friend (who is a retired racing mechanic and worked with a lot of Fords) can take a look at it. I want his (or someone's blessing, so to speak) before I begin because I'm perfectly comfortable stripping the whole damn thing down and rebuilding it, so long as it's worth the investment of time and money. I mean, I don't know what would cause someone to declare it a bad venture, but I just want to make sure.

To complicate matters, the car has a 302 from a 1978 Ford Something. Why don't I know the model? The wonderful and loopy gentleman who sold me the car told me it's been in his family for 30 years, first by his brother, then by his cousin, them himself, and 15 of those years were in Tijuana. So someone swapped out the engine, but he couldn't remember who did it and from what car.

The body is nice. No major dents, no minor dents. The chrome trim is all there and in decent shape. The glass is all good, as is the alignment and the car's general shape. I have to assume, at this point, the chassis is good.

I paid the man cash and drove it the 25 miles or so home without a hitch.

A week later problems began to develop in the electrical system, which resulted in me buying a new battery and a new solenoid, neither of which, I think I needed to buy. The car now only starts via hot-wire, but it does start.

What I want to do with this car is clear to me and my wife: I want to make it into a drivable street rod with 300-350 hp that looks sharp but not necessarily perfect. I intend to strip it down, clean it, repair what I can, even if that includes a little welding, and purchase that which I cannot repair. The interior might be considered passable for a clunker. For me it's a total restore. Total. I want to strip it to the metal, then redo it cleanly, not fancy. After it's painted, I want the car to look stock from the outside, and almost stock in the interior.

Because I can't get myself to commit to the work until late January at the soonest, I was hoping to begin gathering the tools I need, so as to lessen the number of times I have to buy them.

I know I'll need an engine hoist and engine stand, but after that I have little idea. I have lots of hand tools from building my house, and I have a voltage reader, but that's it. Does anyone have a list of things I'll need? Are there things I'll need that I should only rent because they're expensive and necessary only for one or two tasks?

I like this forum a lot and having browsing articles, and I appreciate anyone's help.

Nick

·
Registered
688 Posts
before I begin because I'm perfectly comfortable stripping the whole damn thing down and rebuilding it, so long as it's worth the investment of time and money. I mean, I don't know what would cause someone to declare it a bad venture, but I just want to make sure.

Nick
Sorry to be negative but real nice 64/65 rancheros can be had for 4 to 6 grand
and it will be easy to spend 8 to 10 grand and a few thousand man hours restoring one so if you are worried about recouping your investment then the answer is NO
If you want to do it for the pleasure then the answer would be up too you

·
Registered
581 Posts
Not a whole lot to taking one of these apart.

Buy an engine stand----rent the hoist

I'm in the process of updating a 65 now.
Have no intention of painting it until late next year,
but the under pinnings and interior will be done long before that.

Using a late model 5.0 HO and the original Borg Warner 4-spd
More than enough for this car.

Still have to replace the back of the cab-----rusted, and then destroyed when I had to cut it out for some floor replacement. (have part---just killed a 62 Ranchero from a junkyard)

Hope to have that cab in place and all the welds sealed up before Christmas.
Will have engine in there before Christmas.
Repaint the interior
and then get the car put back together for some spring/summer activities.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't take it as a negative. By investment I mean personally. I'm not looking to make a profit. It's all for fun. Learn how it ticks and make it tick right again. I just want to start gathering the tools and really have no idea what I'll be facing.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
You should have a complete rachet/socket set, SAE of course, no metric required.
go to Sears & get a complete socket/rachet set & a good 3/8's to 1" wrench set. What else does he need to break this Falcon down?
Speaking of tearing her apart, maybe for a 1st timer you should get her running well, & do allot more searching before you pull her apart. there are to many well meaning 1st timers who have good luck tearing their Fords apart, but getting her back together is a whole new challenge, if she drives as well as you say, maybe enjoy the ride for a while, eh?
Now, go write down all the #;s off the block, heads, trans, you can find & either look for ford motor ident. sites or post here, allot of knowledgeable people will help you figure out what motor, trans , rear end you have.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
This isn't so much a tool but just as important to have, and that is a plan for your build. I'm talking the motor, trans, rear axle, suspension, brakes etc., all these parts need to be at the same power level. the other things like paint and bodywork, upholstery, glass, wiring, mechanical work on motor, trans, rear axle setup, how much and what is going to get farmed out. Next is money and time, how much do you have to spend? You can save money by doing it your self and you can get done faster by having things done for you. Take the time to figure the cost of all this and what you can afford then times 2 and that's what you're looking at for a build. The biggest thing I see people do is change direction in the middle of a project, more power, bigger wheels etc., and its hard to return the expense of your first path.
So the point of my rant is to make a good plan and see it thru , it will save you money, hassle, and make for a better finished product.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Iowan,

I appreciate your input. That sort of thing has been rolling around in my head largely because I saw a couple of posts on these boards that addressed that. But your input is all the more specific and has me thinking.

How much I spend on the project is partly my wife's say, but as she is enthusiastic about it. Another factor is I don't want to sink a whole lot more than it'll be worth, and I mean that literally and without overstatement. I'm not looking to sell the car, let alone make a profit: I'm even content putting in more than the whole thing will be worth, just not a whole lot more. I'm thinking 10k is about what I'm hoping to spend at most. I just don't have any idea what that'll get me. But honestly I don't know what the car needs either, except to say, fortunately, that it needs no body work.

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Surfacenuts,

Here is my two cents...make sure this car (64 Ranchero) is really THE ONE.

It's okay if at some point (hopefully before you start the teardown) you decide that the bloom is off the rose. The car can be sold, and you can always purchase something else.

That being said, remember: (1) It's always going to cost you more that you think; (2) It's always going to take longer than you think; (3) There are always more parts than you have room for.

Support from the spouse is imperative. Based on her initial reaction I'm sure that you are blessed with a lovely life partner, but make sure beforehand that you both see eye-to-eye on not only the financials (specifics like dollar amounts and monthly expenditures) but also the time aspect ("Are you going to spend all day in the garage AGAIN?").

That being said, the car hobby is a wonderful thing and it has brought me (and my lovely wife) many hours of joy.

Good luck!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ken,

Appreciate your cents. This is the one.

Anyone, know to what degree I can use Falcon parts from the same year on my Ranchero? Also is there some things that can come from a Ford model that is one or two years earlier or later?

·
Registered
581 Posts
Depends on what you are looking to replace.

64 and 65 Ranchero/Falcon---same car, different grille, chrome trim, and wiring is quite a bit different.

More than a few items for a 64-65-66 Mustang will work just fine.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Depends on what you are looking to replace.

64 and 65 Ranchero/Falcon---same car, different grille, chrome trim, and wiring is quite a bit different.

More than a few items for a 64-65-66 Mustang will work just fine.
Thanks.

Two quick, random things: 1) what are "underpinnings?" You mentioned them in a previous reply. 2) And where can I find stock or stock style seats? Internet searches are resulting in zilch.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Underpinnings are generally referring to the front and rear suspension/steering components.

As for the seats----seat frames for the buckets are pretty much the same from 63 to 65----look very similar to the the seats in some earlier T-Birds as well.
Just the seat FRAMES-----seat tracks and and mounting stuff will be
probably only found on 64/5 Falcon/Comet.

Junkyarding and E-Bay to find these.

I found a set of buckets for a 63 Sprint, will be using 65 covers on them, and will have to make one seat mount for each seat.

Oh----Convertibles and hardtops have different seat mounting tracks

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
As for the seats----seat frames for the buckets are pretty much the same from 63 to 65
What about bench seats? I think I've seen bench seats (though I'm not positive) in 64 Rancheros. Is that a possibility? And headrests? Can one get seats, bucket or bench, with headrests?

·
Registered
337 Posts
I would also get an AutoKrafters and Dearborn Classic catalog along with an Eastwood catalog. Eastwood has a nice air tool starter kit. Sounds like you may have a good engine, just be sure to run a high zinc oil (ZDDP).

·
Registered
581 Posts
What about bench seats? I think I've seen bench seats (though I'm not positive) in 64 Rancheros. Is that a possibility? And headrests? Can one get seats, bucket or bench, with headrests?
Bench seat should be the same for 60-65 Ranchero, Sedan Delivery, and 2 dr sedans

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Finally, some photos. I paid $4300 for it. My wife and I think 15000 is our limit to put into it. For a total of 19,300, I'm thinking that's plenty.

I'm trying to figure if I can/should do this at home as opposed to renting a space somewhere, which isn't cheap in my neck of the woods. I just don't know if I have the space, or rather how much I want to sacrifice it for an indeterminate amount of time.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 35 Posts