Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Good lord! Who thought that steering wheel would look good in there?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Good lord! Who thought that steering wheel would look good in there?

It's hard to tell if you were pleasantly surprised or disgustingly appalled.

I liked the parking brake in the first photo. I remember doing that in 1974 with my '61 after the cable broke.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Finally, some photos. I paid $4300 for it. My wife and I think 15000 is our limit to put into it. For a total of 19,300, I'm thinking that's plenty.

I'm trying to figure if I can/should do this at home as opposed to renting a space somewhere, which isn't cheap in my neck of the woods. I just don't know if I have the space, or rather how much I want to sacrifice it for an indeterminate amount of time.

:eek::eek: good googly moogly ! That's a lot of jack to put into this ride. I would think you could do it up awesome for less than half of that. Wow! I'm also up for adoption.:D

·
Registered
340 Posts
It's hard to tell if you were pleasantly surprised or disgustingly appalled.

I liked the parking brake in the first photo. I remember doing that in 1974 with my '61 after the cable broke.
I am most definitely disgustingly appalled. That thing is horrendous and should be burned so it will never hurt our eyes ever again.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Hey surfacenuts, looks like you've got a 65 there, not a 64.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Yeah. Grille and tail lights say '65, but the chrome down the sides and the chevrons say '64! I'd think it would be easier to change the former rather than drill all those holes for the side trim. I ran a '64 grille on my '65 until I located the right year. Took me almost 15 years to find a decent one.

·
Registered
465 Posts
It is a 65 not a 64. The chrome trim and chevrons were part of the two tone option. And it is two tone though not the way ford did it.
R

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

You prompted me to check the VIN, and it is indeed a 1965, and I now know that the original engine was a 289.

To the comment on the steering wheel, I have to repeat what I said at the beginning of this thread: this car spent 15 years in Tijuana. That steering wheel came out of a BMW. As I also said, I'm a complete amateur in this game, but even so I was disconcerted to consider why and how a BMW wheel got attached to a Ford steering column. On the other hand, given that I've since discovered that a fair amount of the wiring has been achieved with extension cords, lamp cords and speaker cable, I'm expecting to come across all kinds of surprises.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Sounds like you bought a surprise package! Take lots of photos, they'll help if you have questions.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
As a matter of fact, BlueBird (or anyone for that matter), I three have questions about the attached photos…if anyone knows.

1. These cut out areas through fenders in the engine compartment: what do you suppose they were done for? More importantly, are they a problem? They're each about the size of a quarter. Should I patch them or leave them?

2. The hood latch jutting form the grill: I'm not familiar with the standard latch on a Ranchero, but I've gotta guess this doesn't qualify. Furthermore, it's the only latch; there isn't a secondary latch. Surely, Fords of this age were built with secondary latches as a safety concern, right? Is there a drawing anywhere of how to build this back to original so that it functions correctly and doesn't look so Frankenstein?

3. Lastly, the seats seem to be in good structural condition, but one of the few stipulations my lovely wife included in her overwhelming support for this venture is to create as safe an interior as possible, and this safety includes headrests to prevent whiplash in an accident. I've scoured the Net for seats (especially because I would prefer to install a bench seat to make it a possible to ride three people in a pinch). If I can't get a bench seat--or until I can--I'm wondering if I can add headrests to these. I've heard tell of doing as much in certain circumstances but I haven't turned up any specifics or details. Obviously I don't know if these seats are even original. Anyone, know anything about adding headrests? If it's more work than it's worth what are other options because searches for any Ford seats from the 60s yield little fruit.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
surfacenuts said:
2. The hood latch jutting form the grill: I'm not familiar with the standard latch on a Ranchero, but I've gotta guess this doesn't qualify. Furthermore, it's the only latch; there isn't a secondary latch. Surely, Fords of this age were built with secondary latches as a safety concern, right? Is there a drawing anywhere of how to build this back to original so that it functions correctly and doesn't look so Frankenstein?
Going out on a limb here, but it appears that a PO may have removed the secondary latch and 'improved' the primary latch mechanism to allow for the installation of the pusher fan. You may need to remove the electric fan to allow for the re-installation of the correct hood latch mechanism.

It might be easier to find a used hood latch assembly, rather than try to fix the existing one, as it may have been compromised beyond salvage.

This repair should be considered a priority...nothing like having your hood open up at speed (ask me how I know).

Good luck.

·
Registered
576 Posts
The holes were cut for grease fitting access, no problem just not very neat.

I agree with the post above on the hood latch, if you need the electric fan, remove the latch completely and install hood pins.

Those seats don't look stock to start with. Headrests that are more then just looks CAN"T be retro-fitted to an old seat. How about looking for a late model bench out of a small pick-up...Ranger..Toyota...Nissan...something like that? Bench seats are common in them and should be able to find something the right size. You'll have to get creative with mounts, but that shouldn't be a biggie.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
The holes were cut for grease fitting access, no problem just not very neat.
Great, but when you mean no problem, is that no problem leaving them as is, or it would be no problem patching them?

I agree with the post above on the hood latch, if you need the electric fan, remove the latch completely and install hood pins.
Why is there an extra fan? Don't you suppose that was put in as a Band-Aid for some other deeper problem in regards to keeping the engine cool?

Those seats don't look stock to start with. Headrests that are more then just looks CAN"T be retro-fitted to an old seat. How about looking for a late model bench out of a small pick-up...Ranger..Toyota...Nissan...something like that? Bench seats are common in them and should be able to find something the right size. You'll have to get creative with mounts, but that shouldn't be a biggie.
I'm not at all opposed to putting in seats from an entirely different vehicle. Keeping the car stock is a minor priority. The goal is to get it near stock, like 70-80%, something along those lines, mostly so that it remains of the period for the most part, and generally is clean, punchy and fun to drive. When you say, though, that I might need to get creative with the mounts of a bench seat foreign to the car, are you meaning the cutting, repositioning and welding of the mounts on the bench seat? Having not even pulled the existing seats from the car, I really don't know what to physically expect in regards to bolt pattern, orientation and hardware.

Random question to anyone: will I need universal joint and/or deep well sockets (i.e. does working on a Ranchero present a lot of tight corners and spaces, or will regular socket make do? I'm still researching air compressors, impact wrenches, engine hoists and stands, floor jacks and jack stands, not to mention transmission jack, a piece of equipment I don't know whether I will be needing.

·
Registered
465 Posts
That's too bad someone butchered up the shock towers to cut holes for access to the UCA grease fitting. A hole saw would have been much neater with goof plugs to fill the holes when access not needed. 90 degree grease fittings would be another way to get access without cutting holes.

Several of the mustang venders sell retrofit add-on headrests for mustangs that could be adapted to the seats you have. NPD is one source but there are others.
R

21 - 35 of 35 Posts