Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those that have uni body Rancheros you can stiffen up the chassis and stop body twist. Sub Frame connectors is a good way to do it . Thee are several places that make the connectors and are ether bolt on or weld on . I my self prefer the weld on connectors because there is no worry about the bolts coming loose or breaking . Below are some pic's of the connectors I bought and then decided to make my own .
The pic below is sub frame connectors bought from Dearborn Classics I didn't like them at all .

This pic is the ones I made out of 1.5 X 2" tubing 3/16th thick.

Here's what they looked like on the Ranchero

All painted up .

·
Registered
15 Posts
nice work, it's good to see fabrication done at home. i do my own fab work also, i recently had built rectangular tubing upper and lower rear suspension control arms on my 79'gt "baby" that was totaled out last month.........ray

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Ray , Welcome to FM and to the Ranchero section ! To me working on older vehicles I know you can't always find the parts you need so home fabrication is all thats available . Luckily for me I have a good friend and neighbor that if I can't figure it out he can and if I don't have a certain tool he does and vise versa .

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
I like the way you made those to conform to the existing support. Nice work!!! Do you have plans for any sway bar additions for the back axle?

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I like the way you made those to conform to the existing support. Nice work!!! Do you have plans for any sway bar additions for the back axle?
Yes I am planning on a sway bar for the back I already have 1 1/8 " for the front . I have read on several places that the Mustang sway bar will work but it's about the last thing on my to do list.

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
I put one in my '73 Mach 1 and it makes a ton of difference to how it handles. That kit I got from NPD about 20 years ago, the only thing I haven't been happy with is the arrangement to attaching the sway bar to the spring is a little weak and was prone to failure. I repaired it once and after it broke a second time I beefed up the arrangement with sturdier stock and haven't had a problem with it since. In case that might be helpful...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts