Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any tricks or thing to look out for as I remove the windshield from my '63 Ranchero?
I have the side mouldings off and found the screw hidden underneath the corner moulding. It feels like it should kinda push out with a little help.
Also, what about the back glass? Any tricks there?
Who makes the best weatherstrips?
So many questions!

Thanx in advance for all of your help.

Mike

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Well, you are going to ruin the rubber moulding anyway. Reccomended proceedure is to slip a knife into the groove beside the glass, then press in and cut. It will then come out to the front. The rubber has to be quite new and flexible in order to save it for another windshield.

I got my rubbers, front and rear window from an outfit centered in Signal Hill Calif.

Wm.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I am going to remove the chrome, cut the old seal down the glass, shoot silicon spray in the crack between the rubber and body. Then push the glass out from the inside( very carefully)

The new seals will be bought from either Dennis Carpenter, Autokrafters, or Dearborn Classics.

BTW: My seals are too old and hard to try and save.

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
whatever you do, don't touch the edge of the glass with a metal object. A little slip cost me $258.00.

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My brain wasn't engaged. Cutting the old seal is so obvious.
I'm going to put a new windshield and seal in anyway so I'm not too concerned about the seal.
I do not want to break the windshield itself though as I have a project in mind for it when I get it out.
With the back glass I can just cut the seal as well since that will be renewed as well.
I'm going with Dennis Carpenter rubber too. From what I hear their quality is higher than other suppliers.
Thanx for making me think right!

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
I pulled the side chrome off , but left the top and bottom in upon removal of my windshield. Otherwise, I might have bend up the trim trying to pry it out of the rubber. I just cut inside an pushed out with my feet with a spotter on the outside.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Unless you have a nice original too, consider giving some thought to replacing the headliner too. The upper edges of the materials are to tuck underneath the edge of the rubber seal.

Put a chunk of old carpet on to your hood to protect the finish as you lay that dirty windshield down for just one minute.

Wm.

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanx for the guidance!
The 'chero is getting a full on interior re-do!
I'm going to do the interior in '60's kustom style.
The headliner, door panels, seat and even the tray behind the seat will get the treatment.
If I can get what's in my minds eye to come through, it should be really bitchin.
Von Dutch Lives!!

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
coosbaylumber IS CORRECT! Be sure to install your new headliner BEFORE re-installing the new windsheild.

" I just Love it when a Plan comes together!"
The "A" Team

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
And, once that windshield is out of the way, makes for an easier time of getting to the radio grille area, and defroster ducts.

Wm.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts