Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a 2003 ranger,4l,v-6,automatic and I was going to change the tranny filter and all.The parts store has 2 different pan gaskets,one for a shallow pan and one for the deep pan.How do I tell what pan I have? Thanks..

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
Shhhhhhh FE, don't say it! Keep your trap closed this time ;) :) :)

Um, I actually have a chart in my shop. The depth of the PAN isn't what counts, the TYPE or Tranny is what counts.

Would you please take a pic of your trans pan so we can see the shape please?

P.S. You put in the motor size, but NO info about the tranny.... 3 speed 4 speed what is it?

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
Most 4x4 have the deep pan. The gasket will be the same for the same trans just the filter will be different. Just buy both and take the one you don't use back.

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
Like I said, it matters NOT if the pan is DEEP or if the pan is SHALLOW the gasket fits the Tranny not the depth of the pan. They don't change transmission pan design just to make a deeper pan.

Unfortunately the door tag tells you nothing, but the Dealer can tell you the type off the VIN#. just call ford parts locally to you and ask them and give the Vin.

If there was only ONE transmission made for your vehicle then there's only ONE gasket made for it.... Possibly TWO depths make for TWO different Filters but not gaskets.

P.S. Again... Auto means 3 speed, and it also means 4 speed and sometimes even 4 sped OD or 3 speed OD... Which do you have?

·
Registered
10,342 Posts
David, are you saying there's only ONE automatic trans made for the Ranger?
In that year, yes. While they had two different designations (5R44E and 5R55E), they were the same 5-speed auto trannys with different guts, and only the stronger version was used with the 4.0L. So, again - yes, there was only one auto trans for his truck (5R55E), with 4WD and RWD versions.

David

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
If there's only one then my chart won't do any good... He needs to find out how deep the 4X4 pan is versus the non 4X4 pan...

Plus I forgot to look at my chart cause I got an 80 Cheby chort bed that I'm unplugging a 5.0 out of and putting in a 5.1 liter (1969 307 from nova)... WHen chebbies are in the chop I kant theenk str8.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts