Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok how rare is a 68 Ranchero 428, shaker hood, woodgrain package, rally wheels. 4:11 posi 9" Anybody know how many were made and what it would be worth. Thanks

·
Registered
368 Posts
Pics are worth a $1000.

'68 cars never had 'shaker' hoods. Also, pretty sure '68 Rancheros didn't have the 428 option. Think that was only in '69.

Post the VIN, someone will be happy to decode it for you.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Now that i think of it it may have been a 70. it was a car i had years back so i don't have any other info on it.

·
Registered
368 Posts
It seems that the cars we let go are always the ones that end up being worth some money.

Who knew what they'd be worth today?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It had a shaker, don't know if it was a dealer install or what but the hood was the original. Whole car was original paint and woodgrain. the woodgrain was the worst, made it look like a old mans car. this was around 1982 when i had this.

·
Premium Member
1,015 Posts
Ok how rare is a 68 Ranchero 428, shaker hood, woodgrain package, rally wheels. 4:11 posi 9" Anybody know how many were made and what it would be worth. Thanks

It sounds pretty rare to me and it's probably the mix of options that make it that way in my mind.

The 428 and 4:11 posi I've seen in a few cars but still not too many.

The shaker is a little more unusual, but that teamed with wood grain makes the car seem like it was a custom order... probably not many just like it, if any with that color/interior/options scheme.

You could try woody's fairlane site, it wont be 100% but you could look at the number of fairlanes with similar options and then probably figure in less Rancheros

Woody's Fairlane Site!

*edited to add*

Forgot to ask, was it a 4spd car?

I found this really pretty example:

http://daktel.bismanonline.com/1968_ford_ranchero_428_4_speed?app_print=True

It's not an original 428 4spd but it has one in it now. Asking price is 6500 which for the equipment doesnt seem too bad.

Also there's this add:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1968-FORD-RANCHERO-428-COBRA-JET-RAM-AIR-V-8-NICE-AD-/280698056365

This is interesting as it states 1968 rancheros had 2 available 428 options, also the car in the picture looks to have the shaker as you mentioned!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It was a auto. i have let a few rare cars through my hands over the years. This one, a one owner 70 R/T 340 Challenger convert red on white, a one owner 74 SS 454 4spd El Camino, 64 442 convert to name a few.

·
Premium Member
1,015 Posts
It was a auto. i have let a few rare cars through my hands over the years. This one, a one owner 70 R/T 340 Challenger convert red on white, a one owner 74 SS 454 4spd El Camino, 64 442 convert to name a few.
It seems that at some point we have to let them go otherwise we'd all be broke or be running a car lot, except none of them are for sale... ;)

That old advertisement from 1968 said there were two 428 options for the ranchero. standard 428 and 428 CJ?

With a shaker I'd guess you must've had the CJ

Its a cool car either way. I think the 67/68/69 rancheros are my favorite, though I do like those early 58 style ones as well.

:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts