Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. My Dad is looking into purchasing a numbers matching 1962 Galaxie 500XL Convertible with the G code 406 tri-deuce set-up and a factory 4 spd and we were wondering just how rare it is in terms of production? I found a 1962 Ford Galaxie registry where there are 8 similar cars registered (including the one we are looking at) and another site quoted correspondence from a Ford employee stating that around 8000 high performance (390 and 406) Fords were produced in 1962. Any information would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
Many HP 390 cars and a few thousand 406 cars, but rarity is down to the nut and bolt sometimes. The color and trim package makes them truly rare.

But a 62 6V 4 speed 500XL Vert is one sweet ride.

But that 406 could be a 332 for all anyone knows. You gotta do a TON of research to make sure it's not a truck 360 with an intake on it....

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
This is strange. What is it galaxie day for me? I went to pick up a truck today and ran accross 2 1963 galaxies B code roller cars. Too high on his price.
I got a friend that calls me at times and he has a 62 with a 406 and looking the spedo cluster for a 62.

And another friend that had cancer shot himself yesterday that had a 63 galaxie with a 406.

Man called me wandering what I would take for my 406 and now you state looking one.

The 406 convert however I would think are far and inbetween if you find one that is a xl. The 62 I knew were B codes with one 4 and 4 speed but didnot know in 62 they were produced with 3 duces. I knew in 63 the G code with 3 duces were made. hummm

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
How does a 406 car with 3 - 2's show up in a registry? I thought all 3 -2 setups were dealer installed or dealer provided?

I am confused?

Scott...

·
Registered
187 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Yep, 6V is a dealer installed option some came shipped in the trunk from FOMOCO...
That's a big Negative. In 1961 the 6 barrel hipo 390 intakes were dealer installed. For 1962 the 406-6v intakes were factory installed. That is why there is a unique VIN code for it.

As far as rarity on the convert there is no way to know for sure how many were made. It is pretty rare though as the XL was a mid year introduction with the production starting about April 1962.

·
Registered
581 Posts
You're getting the years mixed up, in 61 all the 390s (300,375,401) got the Z in the VIN no matter what the HP rating, and yes the 61 401 horse, which was a 375 horse from the factory, had the tri power dealer installed. You have to check for all the other HIPO goodies to tell if it was a 300 or 375 OEM.

For the 62 full size Ford model year, each version had it's own VIN letter Z-390/300, Q-390/375, M 390/401 and later in the model year was joined by the B code 406/385 single quad and the G code 406/405 tri power. The 62 T-Bird M code was a 390/340 horse tri-power hydraulic lifter version.

For the 63 model year Z-390/300, P-390/330, B-406/385, G-406/405 and mid year came the Q-427/410 and R-427/425.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Who are you replying to? Just wondering because what you wrote and what I wrote mean the same thing. You just included more detail.
Not you Lars, a lot of mis info on the 62 model year in the previous posts

Going by the site above, my Q code is supposed to be a 427 8V
How does a 406 car with 3 - 2's show up in a registry? I thought all 3 -2 setups were dealer installed or dealer provided?
Yep, 6V is a dealer installed option some came shipped in the trunk from FOMOCO...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks so much for all of the links and information. I really didn't expect to get so many responses and so quickly to boot! We seriously appreciate your time and knowledge. Some people did ask for some more information concerning numbers and here's what I have pulled together: serial number 2J69G16366 BODY 76B, COLOR V (Chestnut), TRIM 39, DATE 21H, DSO blank, AXLE 6, TRANS 5 The seller also has pictures of all the casting numbers involved with the motor from the rebuild that I could send along if anyone is interested (I don't know how to post pics and there are like 10-15 all with different numbers). Thanks again and have a great week!

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Ever how rare they are must not be wanted bad. I got 2 406 G code 1963s and keep coming down on price but not gona give them away. New rebuilt as well, shisssh

·
Registered
187 Posts
Not you Lars, a lot of mis info on the 62 model year in the previous posts
I was just pointing out the information on that particular website is plain wrong and not trying to confuse anyone.

Just to illustrate the extent of the bad information that is out there, just have a look at Steve Magnante's book, "Rusted Muscle".
This bloke is supposed to be Barrett Jacksons leading authority.
According to a Facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Steve-Magnante/273328661834
Here is his blurb
"This page is dedicated to the hands-down best commentator of Barrett-Jackson, Steve Magnante, with his encyclopedic knowledge of VIN numbers, engine codes, and trim tags."

Read the BS he wrote about the 62s. So much for being an "authority", it just shows just shoddy and poor research

·
Registered
203 Posts
Ever how rare they are must not be wanted bad. I got 2 406 G code 1963s and keep coming down on price but not gona give them away. New rebuilt as well, shisssh
Stuck with two of them, eh? Tough spot. Just say the word and I'll be happy to haul one (or both for that matter) away for you. :)

Paul

1969 R-Code, 4-Speed, Drag-Pack Cobra Fastback Project
1967 Mercury Commuter Wagon w/mild 429

My Car Restoration Projects

·
Registered
674 Posts
Perty shure it was a 63.

As a young teen we used to hitch hike into town now and then. Up the street and around he corner sat one. Father had a T bucket both sons had older coupes from the 30s. The 63 convertical was there moms. 406 4 speed baby blue converable white top and interior. It made our day to have her pick us up. She drove rather sporty too. Another neibour used to pick uus up too in his 58 chevy waggon his name was Bill Jenkins.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Read the BS he wrote about the 62s. So much for being an "authority", it just shows just shoddy and poor research
All we can do is hope to correct the errors when we find them. Nobody knows everything. Even when doing the proper research it is common to encounter contrary info from the factory documents. Magnante must have read that the 4 speed was a 406 only item in 1962. That could be what the factory originally dictated. We all know that special cases were able to sneak out if a the right strings were pulled. Yes, 390CI-300HP 4 speeds were built but they are very few.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Stuck with two of them, eh? Tough spot. Just say the word and I'll be happy to haul one (or both for that matter) away for you. :)

Paul

1969 R-Code, 4-Speed, Drag-Pack Cobra Fastback Project
1967 Mercury Commuter Wagon w/mild 429

My Car Restoration Projects
hehe, I hear ya. Below is one speed shop rebuilt and we take to swap meets. I was offered 7500 for this one rebuilt and a boss 302 but turnned it down. Busted the boss up and did quite well. I was hoping someone wishing to restore a 63 needed a 406 or I could find a body. I found one in ohio for 3500 , a xl was sharp.You find a 63 body, place this motor in it . Place car then on ebay and let it run. Bet your return will be very well.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.