Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what everyone thought of the seemingly booming trend of the Rat,Primer and Billetproof Rods that are everywhere. I have been reading a few magazines like "Old School Rodz" and "Kustom Kulture" and there are some pretty neat cars in there. I was also turned on to a website called the H.A.M.B. by one of our Fm'ers, and I must say that I am at that website alot now. My '65 Mustang is going to require alot more money and alot more work before it will be the way I want it, but I know where I can get a '65 Comet really cheap that would look awesome with some flat black paint, red steelies and wide whites. I could be cruising it in a few months without worrying about upholstery,chrome and flawless paint. Some of these people are really hardcore about the "Old School" scene and they will have nothing to do with conventional rods.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cupcake65 on 9/15/06 6:35am ]</font>

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
You already provided your own answer to the question. A few people have recogized that fact that they can't afford to finish they'er concept, but don't want to feel embarassed, so they are on a mission to make the guys who can and do complete what they start feel bad for driving something presentable.

I don't think many of us have long resisted the urge to drive our primered, dented, rusted, busted, un-safe, smoke-spewwing crap wagons. No matter how crappy they were, in our minds there is/was a goal of what we want our cars to look like...some day!

Not that I can read minds, or want to - but it "appears" that the Rat rod guys feel that its not just OK to toss together a POS - they require the guy who takes the time and effort to finish or at least dream about finishing his project to "rebel" by also driving a POS too.

This so-called movement, is the same - my opinon - as the Chevy drivers that won't actually see any opinion other than their own. How many of us have run into some trash talking wanna be that has 70 Camaro, 307, with chrome air cleaner screwwed to the hood that claims it does "11 in the quarter", but I can't run it right now 'cause the cop are look'in for me.

My car is never going to be finished, but that doesn't mean I can say that POS is the only True Hot rods. I can see where seeinge a Pro built car might be intimidating to the working for wages guys. That just the way life works, at some point a lot of these rich old farts were working for wages too, now that they have money they want the cars they never had as kids. So they have Boyd, Foose or some other shop build it for them..and do it with some style.

Bottom line, its not so much a trend as it's "sour grapes". The magazines are just stirring the crap to boost sales. Remeber, it was the car magazines that started the trend for Custom Vans, with shag carpet, murals, bubble windows and tinted windows.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Beoweolf on 9/15/06 6:58am ]</font>

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
I love the old school, traditional style rod craze!..
I started reading the HAMB over a year ago and it took me about 5 minutes to figure out that those cars were where my heart lay. No offense to anyone, but musclecars became boring to me several years ago and I've never been into worrying about paint, fancy upholstry, chrome, billet and all of that crap.

Brenda, if you want to buy and rat that Comet on the cheap, I say go for it! One thing to remember...many trad hot rod events allow 'pre-1965 models only, so you may not be able to park with the rest of the rods.

Jan..primer rules!

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
funny as it might sound...I actually agree with you tbirdchick! I don't have a big problem with rat rods. Just leave the attitude at the door, just like they wish the guys at the car shows would do for them. Rigth wrong or indifferent, if you take a rusted Vega to concours show, you are asking for hurt feelings. If you show up a the local drive-in with that same car, and some juice under the hood...then you get a little respect.

If you need the respect of the Big money car guys, then you are going to have to come with something more to show than just desire.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Beoweolf on 9/15/06 7:06am ]</font>

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
I'd do the '65 Comet as a gasser which fits that trend too. The flat black I don't mind but the red steelies don't fit that car IMO, chrome steelies yes or even Radirs or Astros or that period style wheel.

BTW The trad guys generally don't like the term "rat rod"

Stu

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Personally, I would do up the Comet in primer with some black steelies w/ some chrome lugs and blackwalls. It would look cool for not a lot of money and you could put a little money in the engine to make it scoot. Go with a 60's street racer look and do it on the cheap and it would look cool.

·
Administrator
21,759 Posts
I find myself appreciating the car with the hood up and a greasey engine residing there than the pristine cars. I like those too but i guess the laziness has infected me and all that cleaning just seems too much effort.

Although I do wax the heck out of the shotrod, even the crunched parts there's something about those beaters that draws me. I'm beginning to think I'm working my way in that direction one dent at a time.
But I love my car and ugliness to some isn't going to make me park it just because it isn't the sleek auto it was in the past. I'm not exactly the same as I was then either! We are both gathering bumps, bruises and bulges I guess.

I've had a couple cars that some black primer would of been doing them a favor as they sure weren't perty but they were my rolls royces in dependability and served their purposes well.

Deb

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
My cars are pretty much "done up" in presentable fashion ... certainly not "Show Field Award Winning" ... but very, very decent driver cars.

I certainly could (and do) understand the notion of "super duper power train" and low buck "fit and finish" ... but I would demand some degree of "fit and finish" even at a Low Buck Level.

I would want even the "High Dollar" car guys to understand at first glance ... This was a specific project design/dream ... and know right away it was a success ... at being what it was intended to be.

Maybe that's a thought for my next project ... thanks Cupcake

·
Premium Member
2,908 Posts
I must say I tend to like the Rat Rods because they are typically basic and simple. There's a fine line though between a Rat Rod and a piece of junk. I don't like too much rust, or unsafe cars, or dented body work. Well used, but well running is great.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
On 2006-09-14 17:52, blown68 wrote:
Personally, I would do up the Comet in primer with some black steelies w/ some chrome lugs and blackwalls. It would look cool for not a lot of money and you could put a little money in the engine to make it scoot. Go with a 60's street racer look and do it on the cheap and it would look cool.
One of the cool things about Trad Rods is that they don't have to 'scoot', at least not in the traditional sense. A streetable Flathead that doesn't heat up every 3 feet generally will put out 200 horses at best . Put that motor in a '46 Ford and the car honestly isn't going to be very quick. But it will exude 'Hot Rod!", be fun to drive and look cooler than heck!

My '64 Ford "Roach Rod", parked while I work on my two vintage circle trackers still runs it's original 223 6. But I'm slowly collecting 'period' speed stuff like Barker High Lift Rocker Arms for her. Even fully decked out with 2 carbs on an Offy intake, a header and other goodies, she still won't be anything resemblimg fast, but will be a blast to drive.

·
Administrator
21,759 Posts
My derby banana will be dented for a while. But in the mean time I've been working on other areas to make it more road worthy. Recently front end parts, leaf springs, shocks and a gas gauge that I'll probably never remember to look at after not having one for 30 yrs.
I guess when that's all done then I can work on de-bananafying it. Til then I'm going to enjoy it regardless of what people think of it. I'd say it's paid for but really is any old car truly paid for?

·
Registered
333 Posts
On 2006-09-14 18:43, ShotRod64 wrote:
We are both gathering bumps, bruises and bulges I guess.

Deb
In the antique world they call that "Patina"!

·
Premium Member
1,950 Posts
I believe that it is a common mis-conception that any type of "Rat Rod" is a big POS. There alot of "Rusto Rods" that do allow that theory to be perpetuated.The type of old school rods that I like are the ones that have the major totality of the parts on the car built before 1970. The movement probably started as a rebellion against the high dollar billet rods, but it is now its own established build style. As a matter of fact there are alot of people who are spending alot of money to make their cars look like they were built 50 years ago. I have two cars that were built with no care whatsoever as to how much chrome,billet or paint was on the outside of the cars. They do have more engineering and detail once you pop the hood than 90% of the cars at a criuse in though. They also probably run harder than most. I have seen many cars that had shiny paint, 17" wheels and obnoxious billet valve covers under the hoods that were total POS's with rust in the floors,leaking fluid lines and wring that looked like a snakes nest, so which car is the real "Rat Rod"? Most of it is opinion anyway, what looks great to me may look like crap to another. For example, in my opinion, there are very few aftermarket valve covers that actually look good on any engine, especially billet. I like the looks of factory covers that are either chromed or painted,but that is my opinion. Let the movement live.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
I hate aftermarket valve covers! Factory covers look the best to me too. If you take a little time, you can make them look really cool. I powdercoated mine Ford blue and then masked off the lettering and then powdercoted them again w/ black wrinkle finish and I think they look a lot better than any aftermarket cover out there. But that's just my opinion and well, you know what they say about opinions!

·
Administrator
21,759 Posts
My VCs aren't powder coated but they do stand out.

There was a "rat-rod" I saw next to a gas station in Boron that I really liked. Don't know if it jsut sat there so long the paint was falling off at the welds and such or what. Looked like it wasn't prepped for paint, just sprayed and it started falling off after a few years. I have a pic somewhere. There is such a wide range of definitions so guess it's just in the eye of the beholder or something. Like the term "Muscle car" another confusing issue.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I have no clue.... So I'm going to go to bingo and try to figure it out... Have a good weekend!

FE

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Not-billet. Not machined aluminum.

Cast, rusted, and then painted, in that order. Or maybe skip the painting.

·
Premium Member
1,950 Posts
Billetproof means absolutely no macnined aluminum parts on a car. There are actually some Billetproof shows around the country a few times a year. There is a big one September 16th in Antioch,California. Taken off the Billetproof website are some of the rules for their shows:

1964 and earlier TRADITIONAL style rods and customs ONLY!
No visible billet anything! Especially wheels!
Traditionally styled choppers and bobbers ONLY! (No modern West Coast Choppers, OCC style fluff bikes)
No trailered cars (race only vehicles excepted with prior approval)
No digital gauges (it's not traditional and it's ugly)
No IFS on fenderless cars (it's not traditional and it's ugly)
No mag wheels made after the 60's

You can see the site at http://www.billetproof.com.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: F15Falcon on 9/16/06 8:36am ]</font>

1 - 20 of 25 Posts