Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
RE: Coated Headers VS. Heat Wrap

Ok, obviously there is a 200 dollar price difference but performance wise and under hood temp, does anyone know which is better, wraping your long tubes, or having them inside and out ceramic coated?
Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
4,154 Posts

Coating is better. I've heard that wrapping them can accelerate rust. May not be a problem where ya are, its not here. If I lived in Florida, I would never wrap headers.

·
Registered
672 Posts

I don't know, but I had my headers wrapped and I did not like it. It keep water trapped under it, and the headers started to get surface rust on it. Luckily I caught it early enough to salvage the headers. I'm going to get them coated soon.

As far as performance, I did notice that it keep the tempature down slightly. But I have not had enough experience with the coated headers to make a good comparasion. (spelling?)

·
Registered
1,162 Posts

Definitely do the coating on the headers. When I get my stage 2 engine done for my Granada I will send my Hooker 6208's out to get them coated (right now I'm using them as is on my stage 1 setup)

The only time I would use the wrap is if a component may be too close to the header tubes in which case I would wrap up the component (usually hoses and wiring if it can't be relocated) and also the offending header tube in that area using hose clamps to secure the wrap. On my Formula for ex. I have coated SLP shorty headers installed: One tube on the pass. side comes very close to a water hose that enters the heater core (it actually touches it slightly after I installed the header). What I did here was I wrapped the heater hose up with header wrap and I also wrapped up the header tube right where it touches the heater hose. For extra insurance I was able to even slip in a couple pieces of the header wrap between the wrapped areas of the tube and the hose and I have not had any problem with the hose getting torched up. The coating and the wrap on the header work so well that I could even put my finger on the wrapped part of the header without my finger getting burned even though I feel the heat coming off the tubes. This shows you how well the coating keep the exhaust heat in the header instead of radiating it out to the engine compartment, using the header wrap only where it's needed will save you from having to replace components that could get torched up.

·
Registered
521 Posts

Check out the article in the new Car Craft. They checked temp difference between coated and uncoated and there was a 50% drop in temp!! They also had alot of things to say about the wraps too.Get the coated ones!
Bob

·
Registered
1,105 Posts

The header coating will rot in a year or two, depending on the amount of driving. It looks pretty crappy when it does start to break down. Then you get to re-wrap them again! Go with the coating.

·
Registered
160 Posts

I have Jet Hot Coating and Cool It Header Wrap works great.

·
Registered
58 Posts

if you purchase pre coated headers,be sure to buy the ones coated inside and outside.there are some that are only coated outside,the tubes will rust from the inside out.

·
Registered
30 Posts

Header wraps, Don't do it. You'll be sorry, I wrapped my shorties and they rusted thru in about a year and a half. Maybe for a drag-only car it would be OK. Good luck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts