Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
RE: How Strong are stock 28 Spline Axels

Hey guys,
How strong are the stock 28 Spline Axels? Should I worry about breaking them, They will see no slicks, only 275 BFGoodrich Drag Radiels, a Powertrax Street Locker, 355's and a lot of HP.
What do you guys think? Would it be worth getting Moser 28 Spline Axels or starting over with 31 Spline?
Thanks,
Chris

·
Premium Member
539 Posts

Go with the 31's. Though right now your combination would be ok for 28's, if your like the rest of us, more power is on its way. You may want to check around for pricing.
Mark Williams, Moser, Dutchman(my favorite) all make excellent combinations of axles for every application imaginable

Fred

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts

Do you have an 8" or 9" rear end?
If you have an 8", then 28 splines is all you can use. You cannot fit 31 splines in a 8" carrier.

·
Registered
353 Posts

I just bought another 3rd member (8inch) , case and all, 4.11's, 28 spline. The store that built it for me told me if i ever want to put a detroit locker in it i can get it a 31 spline locker, and buy 31 spline axles for it and it would switch right in the casing. i am going open right now, just to save cash. is this guy telling the truth about switching it over in the future?

also, lose that 8.8 inch, hard to work on and stuff doesnt just bolt out, and bolt in like the 8 and 9 inches. if you do swap out go with the 9 inch if you plan to have more than like 500hp, more money, but less money than doing it twice.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: andysam on 5/20/02 4:37am ]</font>

·
Registered
353 Posts

if you were at a 20 mph roll, then floored it would the axles, or tranny (t5) for that matter snap? with like a 400hp set up?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts