Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if a locksmith can rekey lock cylinders. I don't have keys to my door locks on my 67 Galaxie. I was just wondering if a lock smith could make me some keys with my lock cylinders or would I just be better off buying new ones. The new ones run about $50.00.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Yes. If you take them one of your cyl's they will make you a key for it or re-tool it to fit the cut of their choice.

Usually about $30 bucks to amke one key and $2 bucks for each duplicate. A package deal for the trunk and ign should run in the $50 buck range.

FE

·
Registered
281 Posts
For the price, I think I would pop for the new set that includes the doors and ignition. 1 thing I like about that route is ensuring the previous owner doesn't have a key to your car.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
If you re-key the locks, its as good as buying a new set. The old key won't work anymore.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
If the doors and ignition uses the same blank they can key the doors the same as your ignition.

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
The locksmith will just make the key fit the existing tumbler combination. Some of the older Fords had the key code stamped into the door lock cylinders. Something the dealers would do around here was scratch the key code into the firewall of a new car. Have seen it many times in the salvage yards.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was looking for same kind of help for my van. I got one ignition key from the previous owner. Because I had a cylinder out, I took it apart. My 74 Ford van has 5 pins and I was able to re-key myself. My 67 Mustang had rectangular brass slides, but the process would be the same or similar.
If you are the curious sort, here is what I did:

Take door lock out and the top will have a ridge on top of the cylinder. This is the pin cap

Tools:

small screwdriver flat tip, mini needle nose and mini diagonal cutters and a toothpick.

large table and spread out a light colored table cloth or old bed sheet. ................................................

Clean off pin cap with damp rag. Look at ends and there are "ears on each end. Pry up using the dikes to raise the ears up and slowly lift off the cap using the needle nose pliers.

there are 5 little springs under the cap, be careful.
set cap aside, I try and put it so I can put it back on the way it came off.

slowly remove springs by tipping the cylinder over slowly.
observe the pins following behind. There will be 10, 2 per hole. The ones under the springs will have a place for the springs to rest.

tap out the pins, there should be 10.

put your key in and the cylinder should turn freely.

pull out key and look where the holes line up on the key, when it is in the cylinder. Where the key is high, you want a short pin there, and where the key has a valley, you want a long pin. Kind of line them up on the table and then put the key in the lock. Lets say the tip of the key rises up high at the first hole, drop in a short pin, tamp down with toothpick and turn key. If pin is too tall, it won"t turn.

Keep doing this down the key, put the second set of pins in so that you have a short/tall pair in each hole. take out key
and put in springs. carefully put on cap and get it seated.
keep a finger on the cap as you test the new keyed setup.
If it binds a little or the key wont go in, work it a little while and feel where the trouble spot is.

you may have to take the cap back off and try another combination of pins. I suppose you could use 4 of the holes if one was not co-operating?

If it works ok, replace cap and I crimped it in the center gently so it would stay on. I put marvel oil on the moving parts and the key so everything gets lubed. Couldn't find my graphite.

I did 4 of these in about an hour and only lost one spring, for a little while, it was on my shirt. Just don't make any sudden movements and call for help if you have to.

I was going to buy new locks anyway, looks like all I need now are a few more keys instead.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
I've done the tumbler deal too and you can leave out pins/springs if you loose them. On one car I only had 2 in the trunk lid tumblers and it worked out just fine. It worked real smooth too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts