Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fired up the 302 240Z for the first time yesterday. No dripping water,oil or ATF but there is a huge vacuum leak so it didn't run too good.The box the Edelbrock Performer RPM came in has a sticker warning to use only Edelbrock intake gaskets.The instructions, which I didn't read until later,say to not use PermaTorque gaskets. The motor went together using PermaTorque gaskets from a Fel Pro rebuilder set. Never had problems with those before. The Edelbrock gaskets appear to be nothing more than Fel Pro Printo Seals so that's what going on there now. I have a set hanging in the garage. Guess next time it would help to read the instructions.Must be a throw back to when as kids we wouldn't think we needed the instructions to assemble our model kits.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
That's weird, I wonder why they say to not use the permatorques? I've had nothing but one failure after another with the Printoseal gaskets... they seal up fine when I first put it together, but drive it for a couple years and they start leaking, and when you take the intake off they are all smushed out of shape, hanging inside the intake runners, etc... I used the Permatorques last time I replaced the 460's intake gaskets, and they look MUCH more durable than the printoseals (and are a little more expensive too, but I figure it's worth it).

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
I too have had problem with a vacuum leaks and print-o-seals. I have since "upgraded" to some cheap ass gaskets that are totally flat and less than half the price of the print-o-seal #1262. No issues, except needing to retorque the intake several times over the first week after installation.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Stuff comes with instructions? I though those were just suggestions.

Have always used the cheap Fel Pros. Haven't had problems even though when I've changed or removed the intake they are a little smashed/distorted.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 289nate on 8/30/06 12:50am ]</font>

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I changed the gaskets using Fel Pro 1262 PrintoSeals because I had them in the garage. The PermaTorques didn't look bad but seemed to be leaking at the bottom of the port opening. It seems to run better now but only has about 5 inches of vacuum while idling in gear. The cam might be a little on the large side but it too was in the garage. If the intake leaks again I'll use some cheap no name gaskets.

·
Banned
2,833 Posts
Old trick is to use grease on the gaskets sides so that when you remove the manifold they don't stick. Quick change trick. But it also made it so you could check the gasket and see where it might not be sealing.

·
Registered
9,251 Posts

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Mr. Gasket Ultra Seals, best ones I've found yet.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I might give the Ultra Seals a try. There still seems to be a vacuum leak even after replacing the gaskets with Fel Pro Printo Seals which seem almost identical to the recommended Edelbrock gaskets. When the motor is running there is a faint oil burning smell which may be caused by leaky intake gaskets on the crankcase side.No noticable blue smoke though.

This problem is unique to the 240Z 302 as the Morris and Falcon motors have shown no such intake leak problems no matter which gaskets are used.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts