Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in February I lost the 400 in my Ranchero due to a defective oil pump while on the freeway going to visit my brother for his birthday. Today I finally brought myself to take the valve covers off so that I could swap the roller rockers into the new 460 that I'm putting together and all I can say at this point is It's definitely not good. The insides reek of burnt oil and there is a fine metal paste near the oil return holes. At any rate I know the main culprit of this catastrophic failure but I'm taking guesses as to what else has failed inside, so guess away!

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
If you had metal paste on the heads, then the rockers are a time bomb. I would minimally disassemble and carefully inspect with a full cleaning. I would assume they are trashed until proven otherwise. Good luck!

David

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
If you had metal paste on the heads, then the rockers are a time bomb. I would minimally disassemble and carefully inspect with a full cleaning. I would assume they are trashed until proven otherwise. Good luck!

David
Good point, David. I'm sure that stuff is everywhere and has worked itself into even the smallest needle bearings and whatever. Bummer!

John

1 - 3 of 3 Posts