Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, ive got a C4 box in my 32 ford hotrod. ive only just finished building the car. I rebuilt the box myself last year with new clutch bands/plates and a B&M transpack etc. anyway it seemed to work fine when i got it in and went up the road when the car was half built, shifted right etc seemed fine. anyway. got the car mostly finished and took it out a bit. there was oil leaking quite bad from the bottom of the bellhousing so i assumed the seal had dried out and gone, I decided to leave it a bit and it seemed to clear up slightly. a week later it was ticking over in neutral and ATF starts gushing out from the bottom of the bellhousing. it chucked a pint out in a matter of seconds. ok i thought, engine out replace the seal, got it out, the seal didnt look too bad, but the shaft on the tourque converter was very worn, i assumed this to be the culprit and got it rebuilt for £150. got it back in new seal etc all ready to rock. fired it up and It chucked oil out again as soon as it fired up. engine streight back out working through the night got it out and everything seemed fine. can somone please tell me what going on??? its like immense pressure is building up and firing the oil past the seal. is there a pressure release valve somewhere i can check?? please help...

·
Registered
945 Posts
Line pressure port (plug) is on the left hand side, just ahead of the shift linkage.
Are you sure that the fluid is coming from the converter seal? It maybe the pump gasket??

·
Registered
945 Posts
Converter bush in good condition? If the neck of the converter was damaged, the bush may well be shot as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
im reasonably sure its coming past the seal because it must be pretty much impossible to force this much oil through a gasget.

·
Premium Member
4,416 Posts
but the shaft on the tourque converter was very worn,

This points to maybe a bad bush.Since you have done the seal already more investigation is needed.The bush will let too much oil to the back of the seal.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: gregaust on 8/15/06 4:58pm ]</font>

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Be sure to lube the seal with ATF or petrolium jelly (Vaseline is a common name here in the states) those seals will burn up in a few minuts if they are run dry. oil at the seal is free to run back to the pan so pressure build up is not a possibility. A worn bushing is a distinct possible cause - if you have to replace the bushing use a bronze bushing for a C6. it is about 1/4" longer and offers more support - same diameter just a bit longer. You will have to remove the pump to replace it unless you can rent a tool to pull it out without removing the pump. When you had the converter repaired did they pressure test it? it might be cracked. If you got an exchange part then that is ruled out. That covers most everything that could be a cause of leaks up front. be sure to check to make sure that all the pump bolts are torqued to specs.
Paul

·
Premium Member
827 Posts
I just had the identical problem with my fresh C4 that I rebuilt . Oil dripping crazy from the front. Removed the trans. Seal was fine but I looked behind it and saw the bushing up against it. Pulled the pump and noted that the back side of the bushing was blue. This was lubed up well before initial fireup. My suspicions were correct:
The local trans shop here had installed a new pump snout on the torque convertor for me. Upon checking it in a fixture with a dial indicator it was evident that the snout was wobbling .017. They recut it and welded in a new snout , supplied me with a new seal and gasket and now it is fine. With the slight wobble of the snout it acted like a corkscrew on the bushing getting it hot and then it 'walked' forward. Might be something to look at..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts