Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys I would like your opion on real value that powder coating will add to Galaxie. I have frame ready for paint or powder but there is big diffrance in cost. If you were to open engine bay see that every part that can be is powder coated (control arms, brackets, valve cover, alternator, etc…) vs just painted. Would you pay more for car?

Restoring 1967 Galaxie Convertible

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
Guys I would like your opion on real value that powder coating will add to Galaxie. I have frame ready for paint or powder but there is big diffrance in cost. If you were to open engine bay see that every part that can be is powder coated (control arms, brackets, valve cover, alternator, etc…) vs just painted. Would you pay more for car?

Restoring 1967 Galaxie Convertible
That would depend on if someone was an all original car guy.
They may want all paint. But it really depends on you, are you keeping it or trying to turn it when finished?
To me I would rather have everything powder coated. It's much better than paint.
I just had almost everything under the hood, frame, rear end and all braces powder coated on a car I'm building and cost me $1400.00. And when they powder coat all parts are sand blasted clean. Better than sanding and scraping.
I would not sand , clean and paint all those parts for that. I had around 70 parts coated, even the brackets on the grille.
Another thing I was surprised to see was that when you hook up the charge to the frame and spray the powder it sucks up inside almost all the frame. Never get paint to do that.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
powdercoating is paint . polyurathane enamel. paintng uses reducer to transfer the pigment. powdercoating is electrostaticly aplied. paint is chemicly cured, powderis thermallycured. end result is the same. powder will , howerver get into the places paint won't

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Let me rephrase my question.

Have everything disassembly down to housing, water pump, steering box, searing pump, alternator. Engine powder after machine shop before they assembly it. Upfront cost powder coating will be 3 to 4 times greater than just painting each piece assembled.

This would be big investment on front end and if done correctly wow factor will be their. Are people will to pay more recoup additional investment with powder coating other than the "All original car guy"?

·
Registered
260 Posts
again it depends. powder coating is generally more durable.

if you're after what people will pay more for, i think you're in the wrong hobby. Rarely will you get back everything you put into a car. Cars are almost always a depreciating asset, not particularly a great investment opportunity.

as for me, if i were buying another car, which was done, the difference between a good paint job and powdercoating everything would translate into a marginal price difference.

if we're talking the difference between marginal paint, that is chipping , etc, well yeah, the better the finished product looks, the more i'd pay.

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
If you are thinking of powder coating for an increase of valve that you will get back when you sell I don't think you will get any extra back over paint.
But like I said earlier powder coating is better.
Ever look at shopping carts that are coated and the abuse they go through.
Powder coating is better.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I love powdercoating, but...

a) Some people like powdercoating for all the pretty candy colors, which I don't particularly want to see in an engine compartment or chassis. Paccar black, maybe silver on some stuff, semi-flat clear on well-cleaned aluminum castings is about it for me.

b) It's a very durable finish, but difficult or impossible to touch-up or spot-repair particularly if the piece has already been installed, so make REALLY REALLY SURE you're done with any work on that part before you coat.

c) No, you probably won't get the money back out unless you've got a friend in the coating business who'll run your parts in with other jobs for cheap (helps when you use a very standard color) or the car is the kind of build where not powder-coating those parts costs you money from buyers who'd be expecting it.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Powder coating does translate into at least getting closer to your asking price, but, don;t do it thinking "when i sell her i will get bigger bucks", do it because of the look of powder coating, its durablity & long lasting finish. I;ve seen chassis paint litteraly blasted clean by road debris, the powder coated parts, right next to the painted parts, still looks brand new.
To save a few bucks, well, allot of bucks in my case, anything small enough to fit in an oven for curing you can do yourself with an Eastwood powder coating kit. Its allot of fun, & you will litteraly powder coat anything & everything that can be unbloted.
We even did our own headers, & other big parts, Thanks to a available pizza oven!
I know Eastwoon now offers an infared set up for curing which allows you to do larger parts to big for an average oven
I figure i saved over 1K by using the Eastwood kit

1 - 8 of 8 Posts