Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator
22,117 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Has anyone converted their 3 link to a 4 link rear end, 65~68 Galaxie. What did you use, pics?
I guess the question is what you'd expect to gain.

What's your intended use for the vehicle?

In conceptual terms (not so much specific to the Ford application) a 3-link with an appropriate lateral locating device (Watts or a long Panhard) is about the best possible stick-axle suspension for most things other than dragstrip use.

·
Registered
390 Posts
The 65 Galaxie was the first car to have the coil over three bar. This was design for racing Nascar. They probly design the four bar from it. The set up in your car is beter than the four bar kits . that,s my feeling. On yours you can adjust the pion angle in no time. With the cam bolt all you need is two wrench and you can dial in that pion angle. The only thing you can do is put ajustable panhard bar. If you had a parts car and cut the top bar off the rear end of your parts car and weld it on the top left side of your end and to the framer, you will have a four bar. And set up better than a kit.

·
Registered
718 Posts
you might gain a tad of off line traction for a drag strip car BUT you will loose cornering traction. 4 link isnt as good for cornering. that ford 3 link is an awesome design. you can make it a little better by puting a longer panard bar on. lower the drivers side mount so the c/l of the pivot is on the c/l of the axle housing. put a bracket next to the shock on the axle housing c/l. use 5/8 high strenght teflon lined aroura rod ends. this will lower the rear roll center and make the tires bit more in turns. it will also make the up and down arc less noticable. you caould also make the 2 mounts with several sets of holes for adjustablilty. 3 new trailing arms can be made fron steel tube with 3/4" rod ends and a reducing sleeve. the trailing arms use 9/16" bolts and i never found 9/16" rod ends. heres 2 fotos of my 66 nascar wagon as people called it. i called it a moonshine hauler !

Attachments

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks guys, all very good points. I haven't dove into researching the ups and down of this yet but imagined someone here had more experience.

The 67s are heavy cars so I'm looking at the best ways to improve handling.

OK yes I'll do a search for this but what are your opinions on the best bushing kits to get for the whole car, ie. redo all the suspension areas with new stuff. Urethane? Rubber? Best kits to get??? I want to do this right the first time. ;)

K, I got a lot from searching but doesn't seem to be a consensus on what stuff to use.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Thanks guys, all very good points. I haven't dove into researching the ups and down of this yet but imagined someone here had more experience.

The 67s are heavy cars so I'm looking at the best ways to improve handling.

OK yes I'll do a search for this but what are your opinions on the best bushing kits to get for the whole car, ie. redo all the suspension areas with new stuff. Urethane? Rubber? Best kits to get??? I want to do this right the first time. ;)
i got a set of 73-up upper a arms and put energy suspension urathane bushings in the upper and lower. moog strut rod bushings. 1.25" front sway bar. pro shock street stock shocks front & custom valve aluminum body for the rear(8 & 13). i got a sway bar off a coil spring cougar xr7. i had eaton spring custom wind me f&r spring that were 200 pounds stiffer in the front and 50 pounds stiffer in the rear. mine got a 460 and the 460 is heavier than fe. the wagon corner great on angeles crest and angeles forest highway. the alignment -.5 camber , +4 caster , .125" total toe in. 275-60-15 bfg hr4 tires. i got a sweet mfg saginaw ps box with 14:1 ratio. the 460 was dynoed at 550 hp 5700 rpm. big input/output wide ratio mustang toploader. mcloed street twin clutch. 31 spline strange taper bearing axles & detroit locker with 3.5 gears. now let me tell ya > i'v roadraced 65-66 mustangs since about 1974 and i was a skeirt when i first decided to hit an empty parking lot to skid pad it. this thing cornered good for a 5500 pound , yes i put it on the scales and it weighed a tad over 5500 pounds without me in it and a 1/4 tank of gas ! i took it up in the mountains and started hitting the turns a little faster each time. it was very balanced with the rear starting to oversteer just a tad with full on power. i could have used a smaller sway bar but i let the xr7 one on. the wagon is going to hook up better in the rear cause of the extra weight from that heavy tailgate. i had to replace the tailgate and it is heavy. manual 4 wheel factory 4 piston k/h disc on the front , wilwood 4 piston(1.375" x4) dynalite kit on the rear with coleman 12" rotors. i used a dual master with 7/8 bore. -3 goodrich steel braid and 3/16" steel lines. CB radio and 250 watt landing light equipped !!

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.