Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to confirm the gear ratio on my 64 Galaxie. The prior owner said it had 4:10 gears when I purchased it. I have been told that with the rearend up and the wheels off, I could turn the drive shaft and count the number of turns at the axle shaft. Is this correct? If this this is the case, should the drive shaft turn 10X while the axle shaft turns 4X ?

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have a question... a little off subject, but having to do with gear ratio. My '64 has a 9" detriot locker posi rear end with 3:25 gearing. I'm having some trouble spinning the tires with the 460, which shouldn't be a problem at all with the kind of torque I'm putting out. The car just doesn't feel as fast as it should off the line. What does everyone think about switching my gears to 4:10's? Or maybe something in the middle? Any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
With 4.10s you will have more get up and go but less likely to spin. Mine is not drivable yet so I am not sure what gear to use. I was planning a 4.10 also but a buddy of mine stopped my last month with a 4.11 66 Chevelle and said it is too much for every day use. I had 3.89s in my Big block Nova 30 years ago and thought it was just right.

·
Registered
580 Posts
What sort of box are you running Acadian? C6?
I probably wouldn't be going any lower than 3.9 if your going to be doing much highway driving. Even then you'll be up over 3k rpm at 60-65mph.
My old BB Merc had a 3.5 gear and that seemed to be pretty close to best of both worlds. Good on the highway and round town and not too bad off the mark.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thanks for the advice. It's got a C4 tranny. I think somewhere between a 3.5 and 3.89 would be perfect.

·
Premium Member
1,107 Posts
Try an get a ride with someone that has the gears you are thinking of getting. I'm so used to everything having overdrive, took the Bronco out on the interstate with the 3:50 gears with speed the traffic was running I took the next exit. I thought it was going to grenade.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I removed my c4 transmission and went to a wide range top loader. It made a big differance. I don't know how c4 are geared but it seemed mine took alot of power away from engine as well . Going up hills car pulled hard and a dog of the line. Rear gears 3:00s. Do you know your toqure numbers and hp?

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
On 2007-01-03 15:39, 65460 wrote:
On 2007-01-02 13:28, gbic1 wrote:
With 4.10s you will have more get up and go but less likely to spin.
So if the above statement is true, then your telling me if you have 3.00s or 3.50s, that youll have LESS get up and go but MORE likely to spin?

I dont think so.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
I guess I did not say what I really ment. Yes you can break the tires easier with 4.10 but 3.00 will spin longer. That is what I ment. I ruined many sets of tires with 460 LTD with 3.00 gears and also 390 Torino with 3.0 Gears. 4.10 will give more torque multiplication to the ground. It will also get the car to take off faster and allow you to pull a heavier load. 3.00 will allow more tire speed and allow the tires to spin longer. I am sorry that I did not elaborate on what I ment. I did not mean to upset the old gaurd on the forum. I appoligize to any one who did not understand my meaning. I did not want to take over this post. Thanks for allowing me to explain. Everything said in the above message is my PERSONAL opinion in my 32 years of working on cars and may be different than your opinion. Thank you again for your time.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a '72 LTD with a 429 rebuilt to 466 cid, 750 cfm carb, P235/70R-15s on 15x7 AR wheels; sounds like a similar set-up. Mine has a C6 with 3.25 gears and posi. Both rear wheels break away nicely when floored from a dead stop and spin through about 30 mph. Highway driving is very nice; pulls around 2,600 rpm at 65 mph and gets reasonable economy.

Everything in car design is a trade-off. 4.10s may spin more to start but not spin as much as the car accelerates (like previous guy said). Mine don't spin as aggressively to start (you don't generate a cloud of thick smoke and feel like the tires are going to shred) but they spin longer and you get good driveability. Personally I don't like tall gears. Trade-offs are too severe for what you get. Only real advantage is better acceleration 0<100. In return you get 3,500 rpm at 70 mph (motor works WAY too hard), horrible fuel economy (7 mpg vs 14 on highway matters), and very limited top-end (maybe 100-110 unless you have some really high rpm set-up).

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
I have 3:50s in my Galaxie. (Automatic, 14" wheels/tires).

Fine around town, but gets a little annoying at 65 and up speeds.

Rule of thumb, 14" wheels/tires and 4:10 gears:

RPM=speed divided by 2 X 100.

·
Registered
718 Posts
A good running bone stock 460 should murder the rear tires simply by hitting the loud pedal good and hard regardless of axle ratio. 2 things come to mind in your case. 1st and most likely cause would be a camshaft that has a profile more condusive to making top end power than it is to producing low end torque. If that is the case your car's off the line performance will be greatly enhanced by a torque converter with a higher stall speed. A rear axle ratio change would also help, but highway driveability will suffer somewhat. The other possibility is that the torque converter is defective and not allowing engine revs to climb when you jump on it. This is kind of a rare occurence but I have seen it happen a couple of times. What are your camshft specs?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts