Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i finished up my read disc set up on my axle and now when i tested it to see how things were working i noticed that the rotors looks like its wobbling from side to side and when i tested the brakes back there it looks like the tab that indicated when the pads are low is touching the rotor, may be a bad rotor, cuz i didnt have a problem with the right side of the axle, just this side im kind of gathering around wat it is, but im not 100% sure, the other side has a high dollar quality rotor and the other side is some knock off brand and something is just different about this side, so imma have to do some investigation tomm., but anyone who wants to give some input on this please feel free too

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
well i confirmed it this morning i checked the passenger side where i did the disc brake conversion on my 63 galaxie and its fine on that side but the other side is just acting all crazy and wobbling from side to side and causing my brakes to not functioning properly, but its a stock axle so i think ill replace it with another stock one with the same specs. and i also know it couldnt be the bearings cuz i changed those a few months ago so i guess thats my problem now the axle has anybody else had a problem with their axle possibly being bent or anything?

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
I had a driver's side axle keep pooping out wheel bearings. After third one, we chucked the axle into a lathe. Then between centers, we were intending to measure the run-out. No need, for we could see the wobble.

Went to junkyard, got another similar looking 28 spline axle and it has been in place for fifteen years now. No more buying alxle bearings.

If you doubt it, just find someone with a long lathe and have them chuck it up and measure it.

Wm.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah im having a friend do that this week he does a lot of racing and he said he has a lot of 28 spline axles and hes gonna take a few and measure them and see if they're bent and let me get one of them that arent bent. man this really sucks cuz i was really looking foward to seeing my disc brakes in action, but i guess that come along with all of this

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
need a driver side axle for my 63 ford anyone have any extra ones that are in good shape

1 - 5 of 5 Posts