Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm purchasing a new F-150 with the Ecoboost engine and I will be using this vehicle for work. I will be towing trailers and RVs across North America for long distances at a time. The only thing I don't know when it comes to vehicles is rear axle ratio and what it means. There are a variety of options I can pick from and I need help on figuring out which is the best option for the kind of truck I will be using. If you could explain why that decision is best it will help educate me as well. Thank you!

Attachments

·
Registered
745 Posts
The best way to go about finding out what rear axle ratio you have is by turning overdrive off so that youre in 4th gear (or whatever gear your 1:1 transmission ratio is). Then look at what rpm you're spinning at say 60mph. Measure your tire diameter and plug n chug. There's thousands of rear gear calculators out there online. You just need cruise speed, rpm, and tire dia and it'll spit out your gear ratio.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
my point of view after doing a good bit of towing.
get the 3.73

this is not the dark ages, you do not NEED to tow in direct 1:1 if you are running flat with only a little load, drop her into OD and be happy. When you hit a hill drop it into direct.

If towing is your game I wouldn't worry about the .60mpg you'd probably get from the 3.15

1 - 5 of 5 Posts