Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purchased an old 8" rear that I am using on my falcon, getting ready to pull the center out for new gears/posi but I can't get the drums off! Soaked them in liquid wrench, hit them everywhere with a hammer. Must be rusted solid.

Any Ideas? I was thinking about heating them up a little...

·
Registered
92 Posts
One thing I heard, and tried once(worked alright) is if you heat it up REALLY hot, like, a propane torch is barely adequate, then touch the "joint"(dunno what else to call it) between the two parts with a candle, and keep doing that until you figure you've got a bunch of wax in there, that waxes it up nicely and it'll come off. Never tried that on something like brake drums though.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
In 30+ years of turning wrenches, I've seen every possible worse case scenario for getting drums off rear axles.
If the brakes are adjusted down, and not hanging up, then the torch heating up around the flange, close to the axle will usually do the trick. Sometimes just beating the HOLY HELL out of that area with a BFH will pop it loose.
Also have seen where you have to literally torch the drum off, (of course, ruining the drum), to get it away enough to get it off the axle flange.
Hopefully yours comes off easier than this.
Good luck, have fun.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help guys...

Hopefully I won't have to torch it off

The brake adjuster is seized, I just ended up stripping the nubs off trying to turn it, pretty sure it's the flange though.

I'll heat it up and see what happens.

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
If it wont move at all, its the flange. If its movin a lil bit, its the shoes. I've had the striped adjuster problem once, was on my F-600. Just took lots of prying and such, but finally came off.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Be sure it is not the brakes holding it on before you bother with a torch. Simple test, does the drum turn? I have had things real stuck before, but it has always been the brakes.

If all you are after is the pumpkin, you might be able to drill/grind off the heads of the axle retainer bolts and pull the axle, drum, and backing plate as a unit.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got it apart last night, a little heat and a LOT of pounding.

It was both the brakes and flanges, mostly the flanges rusted on though. Brake components actually looked pretty good.

Dropped the center off at the diff shop this morning, I can pick it up tomorrow with the new gears and auburn posi.

Yea ha!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts