Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I'm looking to replace the rear brakes on my 65. do I need to remove the axles to get the drums off? if so how do I go about that? Stumped

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
Loosen up the brake adjuster all the way and the drums should come off.

·
Premium Member
5,864 Posts
so I'm looking to replace the rear brakes on my 65. do I need to remove the axles to get the drums off? if so how do I go about that? Stumped
Yeah what has happened is the shoes may have cut into the drums a little, beginning 1/4" from the lip. So now you can't pull the the lip over the shoes. I would suggest a flashlight, a thin blade screwdriver (to push back the check lever off the teeth of the adjusting screw), some spray bolt loosener like WD-40 or PB Blaster, and spend the $5 for a tool to turn the adjusting screw, which is pretty hard to do.

You spray the PB Blaster on the adjuster. Then hold the flashlight in one hand, push the lever in with the other hand and turn the screw downwards with the other. After a long time I got one side backed off pretty good, sprayed PB blaster on the hub and studs (which were sort of rusted to the drum), hammered with a BFH in between the studs and gradually wriggled the drum off. On the other side I gave up, put a chisel up against the adjusting screw/check lever and just busted it out. Then PB blaster, etc. I attached a pic so you can see the lever. It is on the backside of the wheel and prevents it from turning backwards, so you have to slide a screwdriver through the hole and past the adjuster to get at it.

Of course you might not have the lip problem and just some PB Blaster and BFH will do the job, I hope so!

Attachments

·
Registered
160 Posts
concur with the above;

Penetrant, Adjuster, and big ass hammer. Oh, and cussing. I cussed a lot. Don't know if it helped the drum, but it helped me.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks fellas. I was able to get the passenger side off after loosening the adjuster. It slid right off. The drivers side is proving to be a pain. I was able to loosen the adjuster easy but the drum won't budge. It almost seems like it is welded to the axle so maybe penetration oil and bfh. I'll have to try that Thursday. The passenger side had no lip looks like the shoes and drums were done. Springs were broke inside so I'm guessing I'm goin to have issues as nothing on this car has been easy.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Spray penetrant @ the axle flange where the drum flange rides on it.

Corrosion.

·
Administrator
21,678 Posts
Sometimes the shoes will stick to the drum also if it's sat a long time. Bang around the main outer surface of the drum also where the shoes would ride.

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
Hit the drum with a hammer.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
BFH and WD40 worked. Except a small chunk of the drum is now gone. I used a block of wood as a dead blow hoping not to damage but looks like I'll be buying new drums... Glad to know the fronts should be easier hopefully.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts