Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Wonder where folks get their rear brake hose? It is about 14", one end has the Y on a bracket that comes back 2" and then takes a 90 to bolt onto the rear end. Maybe the bracket is separate from the hose, IDK.

Or is it hopefully one of those "does not fail" parts?

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
Auto parts store or hose shop.

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
Putts, look on Ebay. There are enough to choose from. :)

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
When I was trying to get my front drum brakes to work, I found that one of them was completely blocked probably due to swelling of the inside of the hose. Also after nearly 50 years, they will be cracked. Better to buy new ones.

·
Premium Member
3,340 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep, that's the one. But $40?? Question: Is a new Made in China hose better than a 40 year old Made in USA hose??

·
Premium Member
3,340 Posts
Says they make their own hoses, looks like a reputable USA business. says average life 6 yrs though...mines 47, still looks ok, but expect its not... IIRC the front hoses/park brake cables were not cheep either, at least now someone has the hoses available.

I doubt anything made today will be on the road in another 40 yrs though- but face it, sadly odds of these cars being around that long is not great either :(

There was a NOS ford hose on there too, but these are one of those things age alone might take out, even if unused.
Tim

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
In my opinion, a new hose doesn't matter where it's made, is better than a 50 year old hose which could collapse or burst and cause brake failure.

·
Administrator
21,759 Posts
I can't remember where i got mine exactly. Probably carquest because they were closer at the time and had the most car sense. I know it was one of them, AZ or NAPA. But of course mine is '64

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
I show several manufacturers of the hose without bracket. If you don't need the bracket part, it ranges from $6.44 to $18 at RockAuto.com, or lists for $13.98 at my local auto parts store for store brand.

David

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
the one on ebay is for 65-66, I think the only difference is the hose length. Here is the parts book listing for the hose.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I show several manufacturers of the hose without bracket. If you don't need the bracket part, it ranges from $6.44 to $18 at RockAuto.com, or lists for $13.98 at my local auto parts store for store brand.

David

Looks like the bracket screws on, can't tell for sure.

·
Registered
8 Posts
For my 67 Galaxie, I had a SS Braided one made. I think I sent them my old hose and they reused the bracket (or made a new custom braket to match). But I'll have to check when I get home to confirm and then I can tell you who made it for me too. I went with SS braided because I'm hoping to never have to change that hose again. I want to do the same for the front hoses but I had blown one and needed replacements fast so I just got some rubber ones locally. When I did the rear one, it was during the off season so I didn't mind waiting for the SS braided one to be custom made to the correct length.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Looks like the bracket screws on, can't tell for sure.
Uh...puttster...

Do you have me on IGNORE? Did you click on the AMAZON url I included in my post?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just a follow up... Classic Tube made my SS braided line for the rear flex line on my 67.

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free

·
Premium Member
5,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Uh...puttster...

Do you have me on IGNORE? Did you click on the AMAZON url I included in my post?
$34 plus shipping and you don't get a bracket, not too much to pay attention to there :)

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
$34 plus shipping and you don't get a bracket, not too much to pay attention to there :)
:frown:

Let me see if I have this right.

You want a new bracket on a quality hose assembly for less than ten bucks and expect them to deliver it free?

Maybe they should install and bleed also?

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
For my 67 Galaxie, I had a SS Braided one made. I think I sent them my old hose and they reused the bracket (or made a new custom braket to match). But I'll have to check when I get home to confirm and then I can tell you who made it for me too. I went with SS braided because I'm hoping to never have to change that hose again.
Finally, someone here with basic common sense...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts