Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
People, I am wondering if any of you can assist? I am in Australia and have a factory (ford in Melbourne) RHD 1972 galaxie LTD 4dr. 400 and C6-9".
I am trying to find out if there was a disc brake option for the rear, maybe a police option? It will make it a lot easier and cheaper to make it compliant if that is the case. It currently has probably the biggest rear drums I have ever seen fitted to a car but would still like discs especially if I can get my hands on a junkyard type set. There were some fitted to the local falcons, but if it wasnt fitted to the model in question it starts to get hard and expensive as engineers and reports have to be paid for. Can anyone help?

·
Premium Member
5,401 Posts
No disc brake set up were offered on these.

You can get a rear disc conversion, but why not keep the drums?
Mine has the disc front and drum rear, and it has never failed me yet, and always pulls up straight.

·
Premium Member
6,043 Posts
You can get a rear bracket for the calipers and then add on locally available calipers, discs and hoses from junk or parts store. The most popular here are from Scarebird Classic Brakes. They have brackets and materials list for these but better call to be sure:
1965-75 Ford 8"/ 9" Small bearing$120

1964-73 Large bearing 9 inch rear$135

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, that makes it easier (or harder depending on which way you look at it). I am in Aussie so there will be a little bit of freight in there. The old girl still pulls up straight so thats not the issue. Since my post I've had to have my 12 monthly road worthy inspection and I was interested to see how it did. It's been passing for the last 3 years since I've had it on the road and honestly for a big old car, I didnt think there was too much wrong with the brakes BUT old mate at the testing authority said it took him 3 goes to get it passed -JUST!! Front brakes in his words were "fantastic and better than a lot of new cars", at 10% (of whatever they go off) how about that!!
But the first two passes on the rears were at 29% and the 3rd pass got to 30%, a pass. Obviously only just snuck in. I was hoping for a great reading and then to just leave them, but not so much. He suggested that I get in there and give the rear brakes a good old checkover so I am inclined to do that and get him to check it again for reference/interests sake.
If I go for discs, as that model didnt come out with them -even local models smaller than it got rear discs in the GT options, I would have to get an engineers certificate-anywhere around 250-500 bucks- as well as having a chat beforehand to make sure I'm doing it right, and probably have to go for a brand spanking new and expensive set from somewhere to do it. Just because some-one else has done it doesnt mean you cant get away without that all important bit of paper even if it is an upgrade.
If that model came out with discs, as long as I could show proof that it did, and I did my part correctly and used suitable parts, I'd have the old freckle covered if anything went wrong.
there was talk recently of getting very anal to the point of any thing like this-or bigger-would have to go and have very late model brake testing done and the dollar figures would just kill this stone dead. Luckily common sense prevailed and what I am considering is still very feasible, just a little more costly than I can justify. I may just call an engineer and see if he will discuss it with me. This might have to go on the back burner. Too many other little things to do on the old girl I think. Cheers.

·
Registered
10,338 Posts
As the factory brakes were designed to work together - if the fronts are so good, then it would indicate the rears are just in need of attention to easily pass. In addition to finding issues with them, there are simple upgrades you can do just to pass, like replacing the rear shoes with better quality or even racing shoes. However, that should not be necessary, considering my first statement. If you cannot find issues with a basic inspection of the drum brakes, I would take it to a brake shop for MC and 4-corner pressure testing. It will narrow the search for where the issue is, saving time and perhaps money.

David

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will do just that, I am certainly not frightened of pulling the drums etc off and having a look, a bit of a bleed on the cylinders wouldnt go astray either, git rid of the old fluid.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.