Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been collecting old Ford parts for about eight years to build a Retro T-Bucket. We were blessed with a really good tax refund this year so the project is now starting to resemble a car!
I ordered the frame and suspension components from a speedshop in Nebraska. The suspension components arrived first. I got the brackets and an old fashioned buggy spring for the back so it would be just like Henry Ford made them in the 20's & 30's. Everything looked great when I opened the box. I eagerly welded the brackets to my 8 inch rear end and fitted the spring. All appeared well till the frame arrived a week later. When the axle & spring were put under the frame I realized how outrageously tall it was. It looked like some goofy farm implement or perhaps a wierdo aspiring monster truck!
I've looked thru other sources trying to find a replacement (shorter) spring. So far no luck. The spring I have is apparently an oddball. 39 inches eye to eye. Nothing else I can find is even close. It appears I may have to have a custom spring fabricated.
The moral to the story is TEST FIT EVERYTHING BEFORE WELDING.
This is my very first posting! I'll give an update on how it's going in a few days. Maybe even post some pictures if I can figure out how to do that. I have a lead on a spring shop in Zanesville Ohio so I'm praying for the best. Wish me luck and don't make the same mistake I did!

·
Registered
692 Posts
Instead of having a new spring fabricated, could you have the old spring re-arched?

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
if you mounted the spring to the top of the rearend could it (or should it) be mounted under the rearend (or at the bottom). That would drop it 6" or so I would think..
Just a thought.
tim

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts