Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unbolted the rear LCA and as I pulled out the bolt.. oops the rear end swung away and now the control arm won't reach the bracket (pic). Any recommendations?

Next pic shows the teensy crack that gives access to the nut inside the frame on the front of the arm. Realistically I think I will have to pull the e-brake cable through to make room for the wrench. Is that necessary? I don't want to make more trouble for myself!

This is not an emergency situation but winter is coming...

Attachments

·
Registered
406 Posts
I ran into this problem with my Jeep Grand Cherokee when replacing control arms. I attached the control arm with a bolt thru the hole on the axle end and the body side control arm was unbolted to the frame mount. I used ratchet straps to twist the axle (wrapped around the control arm mount-axle side- and a point on the frame I wanted it twisted to). When the holes lined up I slipped the bolt through and then bolted both sides secure. I also only took one control arm off at a time. My guess is your axle has twisted a tad because we have a three link rear.

GOOD LUCK!!

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
The reason it isnt long enough now is the axle twisted (pinion side went down) Should be able to get it to turn back by jacking the rear end back up....

Dont kno if you have to move the cable out of way or not cant really tell from the pics, either way its a tight fit. You might have to muscle the wrench past the cable but should be do-able...

Good Luck.

·
Registered
52 Posts
shocks will hold your diff up. move the jack under the pinion area to rotate the front of the diff up. looks like the jack being where it is is not helping but making it harder. and take the cable out it's easier to put back together that way. Had to install that nut today to:)

·
Premium Member
6,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The floor jack is raising the differential but the frame is being held up by the jack stands. So you are saying lower the floor jack and move it to the pinion area and jack it up and that will rotate the axle?

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
The floor jack is raising the differential but the frame is being held up by the jack stands. So you are saying lower the floor jack and move it to the pinion area and jack it up and that will rotate the axle?
Yes putts thats what he is saying...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts