Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for the least expensive route to convert to rear discs for a 66 coupe with an 8 inch rear. Any suggestions? In particular I am looking for used parts, I am pretty well up to speed on the cost of the conversion from most of the vendors.

·
Registered
543 Posts
go find a mid 70's lincoln or granada. you will find some of these cars came with a factory rear disc brake set-up. these rear ends are also 9" ring gear. this will be a direct bolt in. the length and the perch mounts are exactly the same as your 8". in my opinion this would be the easiest way to get rear disc brakes and a 9" rear to boot.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: tony on 5/27/02 8:52am ]</font>

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
If you go on ebay and look up rear disc brakes, there is a guy that sells adapter brakets that will bolt onto your small bearing 9" or 8" that will allow you to use rear calipers from a 80's Cadillac Deville, Seville, Olds Toronado or a couple of other GM cars along with the rear rotors from a Lincoln LSC (Mk VII) They have built in parking brakes, and is supposed to be easy to put in. I havent done it, I havent seen one on the road, but the guy said that it was possible to put it together for less than $400. Not sure if it the route I would go, but its an interesting option.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Beg to differ, but the Granada/Monarch rear is 2 inches wider than the 66 mustangs. It is however the same width as the 67/68's.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info on Ebay, that is exactly the type of feedback I was looking for. I think I will do some research on this conversion and if it looks good I will go for it.

I want to add the rear discs and the trans am racing power booster. Does anyone have experience with that power booster?

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have an 8" out of a Granada that I did the disc conversion to for sale. I used parts off a late model Lincoln Mark series. I pulled it out to put in a 9" last year and its just sitting in my basement taking up space. Has 3.00 gears I believe. Asking $300obo. Let me know, Ken [email protected]

·
Registered
38 Posts
I know currie sells a kit of 1999 explorer rear disks for $379. However, I'm not sure if they are for the small or large bearing rears. You might want to look into it because the price is right.

www.currieenterprises.com

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Those Explorer rear Disc's are for 8.8 or LARGE bearing 9" rear ends. The only way to get them to work on a 8" or small bearing would be to weld new axle flanges on the axle tubes. They can be found at Currie or a couple of other places.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Check with Speedway Motors. They sell a weld on kit w/brake for $399. I've done the Eldo rear disc swap. Check with Speedway.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
How did you like the Eldo swap? I was considering doing it after I put front granada brakes on my mustang, but funds disappeared.....Still interested as it still sounds like the most economical way to do it.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Main problem with Eldo brakes is that the caliper mounting bracket bolts to the inside of the axle flange. Until you look at the finish, you wouldn't think it to be a problem. It is very rough and needs to be machined flat to accept the bracket. I chucked the housing in my lathe and solved that hitch. Don't know what a machine shop would charge. $55 per hour or so.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I used 96 Taurus calipers mounts and rotors on my 64 Fairlane w/ 8 in. One simple bracket carved out of 1/4 in. flat plate replacing the bearing retainer and holding the caliper mount. Shave the axle flange about .060 o.d. and elongate the wheel stud holes to 4.5 in. and your set for the wrecking yard price of $150.00. P.S. get the E Brake cables too cause you can make them work.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts