Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

I am not clear on what a rear end "alignment" is. Does that refer to only adjusting camber/caster, etc., of the rear wheels, or does it actually align the axle horizontally across the car?

The reason I ask is I wonder if I need one on my '61 w/a 9" under it. As I head straight down the highway, it just vaguely "feels" as if the car is not perfectly straight, i.e., as if the car is positioned at an angle in respect to the rear axle, with occasional slight adjustments needed at the wheel. I hope I'm making sense. I'm sure we've seenn extreme cases of this on the road, where from seeing a car on the road you can see the rear end and a side of the car at the same time.

What could be going on?

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
dog tracking can be from the front or rear . string the car . thats wraping a string around all 4 whells . will tell if the rear has a high trust angle or more towards one side to the body and how squre the front to back is . not hard to do. won't tell caster or canber but can tell toe in or out

·
Registered
830 Posts
Your rear end is located to the leaf springs by a pin that sticks up into the rear end. If that pin is missing or rusted out, it'll do exactly what you've described... Try "stringing" the car by using sring from the rear to the front tires. The string should contact all 4 tire surfaces as you stretch it from front to rear on each side
____________________ <--string
O--O............. O---O <--Touching
^tire^........... ^tire^

·
Registered
695 Posts
Your rear end is located to the leaf springs by a pin that sticks up into the rear end. If that pin is missing or rusted out, it'll do exactly what you've described... Try "stringing" the car by using sring from the rear to the front tires. The string should contact all 4 tire surfaces as you stretch it from front to rear on each side
____________________ <--string
O--O............. O---O <--Touching
^tire^........... ^tire^
Just wanted to add a little to this. The pin in the springs is located into a hole in the spring perch. Make sure that the spring perch is in good condition and doesn't have an oblong hole or rusted out hole to locate the axle. Also check to be sure that your u-bolts are tight around the axle and not allowing the axle to shift on the spring perch.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts