Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have put two sets of gears in my 5.0 now and have had the same problem with both of them. The bolts on the ring gear back themselves out and sit in the oil until some perfect powershift and grind their way into the gear set. Now the first set I put in myself and used high strength locktite and the second time I took the axle to a shop and they did it all. It lasts about 6-9 months of driving until disaster strikes. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
not a clue! Never seen it happen more than once and then not again afer the loctite was used...
What do you part time and full time racers have to say?

FE

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Never heard of it. I haven't used loctite much on the ring gear bolts. I just tighten them down to 100 LB-ft and have never seen one or even heard of one come loose.

Are you sure they're the correct bolts? I caught myself using flywheel bolts in a 9" once...they won't work. They're a little longer and wont seat the bolt head against the face of the carrier properly. You can't see a gap but they aren't pulling the ring gear tight against the carrier.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Don't want to knock any shops down here but we ALL make mistakes. Are the threads intact on your bolts after they fall out? or are they flattened? What brand R&P? Sounds like the seat of the ring gear isnt quite flat and so ultimately it isnt getting torqued down correctly, and may be moving enough for the bolts to start coming loose. any strange vibrations after the install?

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
In the past I have had problems with quality work from shops installing ring and pinions. They just don't take the time and do a quality installation. That has included Ford Dealerships. When performing a ring and pinion change I think you should should rebuild the entire 3rd member. Bearings and everything. Pinion Depth and Backlash must be within specifications. Use quality fasteners. You just cannot throw a new ring and pinion in there. I got so sick of half ass installations I called Currie Enterprises and ordered a complete 3rd member already set up. Later with other cars, I did some research and learned how to do it myself. It is not rocket science, you just get the right tools and take your time and perform the installation by the book. Since then I never have a problem with a new gear swap.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Damn that really sucks... what a pain in the a$$, next time you are in there do what I did http://www.thatmetalbox.com/9inchfoxswap/index.htm give that 8.8 the heave-ho & never mess with it ever again (esp if you go w/ detriot locker)
I have a couple of third-members and when I want to change between my 3.0:1 open diff to my 3.89:1 detriot, its not a big deal to do it in the back yard...
(I am thinking that a perfect compliment to those two would be an eaton unit with 3.55:1 gears ...dreams)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts