Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering heating,and then bending and quenching the rear leaf springs to lower the rear of the Mustang 2 inches or so. My plan is to heat them up at the rear most point afer removing the rubber and then rotating the springs to then have mid-eye style springs. Will this work, Have you done this? Thanks. The springs are new so I will use lowering blocks if this turns out to be a stupid idea.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Do not put a torch to the leaf springs!
Spring steel has a certain heat treating process done to it, any heat that makes it red hot will seriously weaken it!

This means that a possible accident could happen (you dont want that).

Its no fun when the whole rear of the car collapses on the road!

Use the lowering blocks and/or other modifications if necessary.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Take the springs to a shop and have them 'de-arched', this will lower the car. And one better is to sell these springs and special order ones that will lower the car some.

·
Registered
698 Posts
This spring making, re-arching technology hasn't changed in a hundred years. It's not rocket science. How do the spring shops get the sping back after heating them?

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Spring shops dont heat them, unless they are 1/2" thick and over ( big rig springs). I work in a spring shop and do it the old fashion way, anvil and 40 pound hammer and beat the piss out of it. Re-arching is alot cheaper then new, even making new leaves is cheap, here in Canada anyways. And takes no time at all to rearch a set, or de-arch a set.

Rick

·
Registered
698 Posts
So Dark, ol 460 Tom could just re-arch his main leafs for a lower rear, correct?

Boy, your hands must be numb at the end of the day.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Half the problem is getting the sprigs back in. SInce you are taking the spring out anyway, why not order a new set? I get an uneasy feeling about driving (especially the way I drive) on a set of reheated or beaten springs.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Another thign to check whenever you muck around with the rear like that is to measure the distances between wheel centres.
ie make sure the centre of the front left to the rear left is the same as the front right to the rear right.
I put lowering blocks in mine and I shifted it about half inch. The car would corner one way a lot better than the other as a result.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts