Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know where there is a tech article on how to replace this seal, I have not done one, and if I have to I would like a little reading to help me along. If you have done one could you offer a little support my way.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
First off, unless it's leaking, (and I've never seen a one piece leak yet), I wouldn't replace it.
Unless of course, (flame suit on), you're going thru the motor, and/or freshening it up/reasealing everything.
There are special tools for removal/install, but you can do it fairly easy (insert patience here). Biggest concern is scratching the crank sealing surface, and the block sealing surface. I've seen lots of people literally dig with gnarly picks, get the seal out and in, but they've trashed the surfaces so bad that it had to be 'rigged/sometimes remachined to repair it properly. No chit. I can only assume you have the engine out of the car, and/or transmission/flexplate, all that removed, with lots of access to the seal, right? Sometimes drilling a couple 1/8" holes in the middle of the seal, then inserting a screw, then prying those out, (being especially careful how deep, and angles that you drill), and pull the seal out that way.
For installing, cleanliness is the gig. A little lube/oil on the inner seal, and on the crank, and I like to put a little sealer on the outside/block area), and make sure as you're tapping it in, (with a light hammer), or better yet the special tool for it), being careful not to cock it and tweak the seal.
Again, just be careful, take your time, and don't let it get the best of you.
If you can get at it, and have a fair amount of tools, it's a fairy easy job. It's also just as easy to screw it up, trying shortcuts/hack, etc.
Good luck, and have fun.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well what I am doing is swapping bell housings, not happy with the one on there. The thing is I have oil leaks, I am sure they are from the oil pan, but if I can see something that looks like might be coming from the rear seal I would replace it.

I thought the rear main was a rubber piece that slipped over the back of the crank with minimal work, thus the question. Hopefully wont have to got there.

Thanks

·
Registered
80 Posts
I just put a one piece rear main seal in my '85 f-150 5.8. the truck was leaking 8 quarts a day back and forth to work. i pulled the flywheel, and the seal fell out on the ground it was so worn out. this is a fairly easy job to do, the worst job is getting the tranny out. I'm sure ford makes a special tool to onstall the seal into the block, but if you're careful, a piece of 2x4 works just as well. just remember to be gentle with the seal, and drive it in a little at a time on each side to make sure it goes in square. oh, and use loctite on the flywheel to crank bolts

good luck

stinger
:eek::eek::eek:

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
If the newer cranks are like the older ones be sure and use something like loctite blue on the flywheel threads. The bolt holes are threaded all the way through and oil will seep out around the threads. It looks a lot like a rear main seal leak.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts