Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just inherited a 1968 mustang fastback 289
cool but not cool the body is rust free .it was bought in california about 20 years ago.and stored inside ever since. i took it for a ride.and found oil dripping off the plate on the front of transmission,the car is on stands. and the main seal is out.after reading about three how to books and three days.I have never turned a wrench in my life.but am a do it yourselfer do to lake of funds, the new top seal is in oil. i trimed the tab off the seal and am going to try to put it in tommarro.any tips.besides take it to a machanic.i pulled the piugs and they had a wet oil coat on them. is thare anything else i should do while i have the bottem apart.

·
Banned
2,833 Posts
Is the engine still in the car? If so look at the main cap and you'll see a pin. There is the samething in the block side that is going to be your biggest problem.

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
I have never turned a wrench in my life.

perfect time to start,and what a car to learn on,can you post a pic of your fastback

·
Banned
2,833 Posts
Seen them both ways. I think because some mechanics knock the block one out for later on ease of change out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts