Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! I have a 66 Galaxie 500 4 door sedan (54A) & I can't find anywhere in my F & M shop manual where it tells me how to take apart my rear seat. I have a sneaking suspicion that the seat bolts for the bottom are accessed from underneath the cabin like the front. But how in the world do I get the top portion to come loose? This all started when my old gas cap (Autorad :mad:) wasn't seated properly after a fill up & gas sloshed around & leaked out of the tank...:cry: Now, of course, the cabin smells like gas & I'm wondering if it pooled somewhere in the back. I ran my fingers along the inside of the trunk between the quarter panel & the trunk pan & it smelled like gas. But enough sloshed to where I think it ran forward & pooled, possibly under the seat...:frown:
As always, all assistance & wisdom is deeply appreciated!

·
Registered
341 Posts
This is my '67 two-door convertible but yours is the same concept. The bottom cushion just hooks under the tabs on the floor (see arrows) and is removed by pushing the cushion back and up. You might have to use your knees at each tab to push if the cushion is stuck. Once the bottom cushion is out, you'll see where the bottom edge of the backrest is bolted (see more arrows). Unbolt the two bolts and lift the backrest from its clips and you're done.

I'm not too good at editing photos otherwise I would have made the second set of arrows a different color or something to differentiate the two locations. Oh well.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,564 Posts
Agree w 289, git in-between the seats and push w your knees.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I tried it, but the seat back doesn't budge. Does the bottom cushion have to come out first?

·
Registered
341 Posts
Yes, the bottom cushion comes out first. Position yourself at the tab location between the front and rear seat and use your knees to push the rear cushion backwards. It might take a couple of tries and don't worry about using too much force. Once one side is unhooked move to the other and do the same thing. You can then lift out the bottom cushion and access the bolts that hold the rear backrest.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I tried everything y'all have suggested & the seat halves won't move. I have a sneaking suspicion because it's a 4 door sedan, the lower seat cushion is actually bolted to the floor, like it it for the front seat...which means I have to unbolt the rear exhaust hangers & finagle the pipes around to get to the bolts....:frown:

·
Registered
341 Posts
Before you go too crazy on this maybe you could reach out to member ford4v429 for some advice. I believe he did a full restoration on a '65 four door which should be like your '66, and I'm sure his rear seat was removed at some point.

It's worth giving it a shot before you go removing things that you may not have to remove.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Well, I tried everything y'all have suggested & the seat halves won't move. I have a sneaking suspicion because it's a 4 door sedan, the lower seat cushion is actually bolted to the floor, like it it for the front seat...which means I have to unbolt the rear exhaust hangers & finagle the pipes around to get to the bolts....:frown:

No, no, no. Don't go unbolting stuff under the car. Your car should be similar to what is shown in this video.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The lower part of the back seat goes in much easier than it comes out. It takes a really good push to get it to unlatch. Especially if it hasn't been out for a long time. Just keep trying, it will finally release. My lower rear seat was pure frustration until it finally let loose. You need to push back really hard and then lift up. Hope that helps.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts