Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My tractor hop problem off the line is gone now with the new tires and lowering the rear of the car. I probably have it down a total of around 3 1/2 inches in the back. On the down side, my top end has slowed down just a little. I think that I finally found the upper limit on my old 1 1/2 tri-y headers. They would run up to 6500 ok but my new topped out rpm with the shorter tires is around 6900. I don't think my old headers are flowing it. I guess new headers are up for next month.

I got a chance to check out a 10 second leaf spring car and he is running a home made version of what looks like the Caltracs. I discussed my rear suspension with him and he suggested that I cut the back clamps off my leaf springs. I have a clamp behind the rear axle and a clamp in front of the axle. He said that removing the clamp behind the axle would let the leafs go ahead and separate which should make my traction bars work better. I thought I might get a sanity check from you all on here before whacking those off.

My car got a little iffy at 107 at the top of the track. Several people I talked with said that 15 pounds in the ET Drags(26 x 8.5) was probably too much for my light car. Most everybody was running 11 or 12 pounds so I'm thinking maybe I was up on the middle of the tires at the top end. I'm going to drop the tire pressure some. What about this?

The other thing that came up was that since my car is that much lower in the back now that maybe it has affected my front end alignment some. What about this one?

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
I've tried spring clamps on the rear, and they just made the rear suspension too stiff. A traction limited vehicle needs a little 'give' in the suspension. If you've got traction to spare, stiffer is faster.

As for tire pressure in a 8.5x26 slick, 15psi is about right. The more air you run, the more stable the car will feel. The more air the tire has, the easier it rolls... so for best et's and mph, you should run as much pressure as possible without hurting the 60ft times.

Headers... Hooker Super Comps are advertised to work with WP heads, the regular Comps are not. They have the same OD, but the SC's are made of thinner material, so they are a little larger inside. The header inlet size also needs to be compared to the exhaust port outlet size. Chances are the header size is going to be too small, and will need ground out to match the head.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
If the front or rear suspension is TOO soft, the car might feel a little squirrely. My car has the old original spongy front springs, along with a fresh set of Comp Engineering drag shocks and no sway bar. The rear consists of newer semi-stiff rear leafs. The car is plenty steady unless something weird happens.

You uneasiness is understandable considering you just went through the lights BACKWARDS at over 100mph...

Checking the alignment and installing some fresh shocks would be a good move to give you a little more peace of mind. If it still feels a little uneasy, a new set of rear 'GT' leafs would stiffen it up and make it feel more secure.

Good Luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts