Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 64 futura hardtop has what I believe to be original 3 leaf rear springs. Worn out, as well as the bushings. Before I replace them I need some advice from anyone who has installed / rebuilt the rear suspension. I do not want to disturb the ride height. The car is level front to back. The shocks are new but I notice a slight sag on the left hand side. Also the car is not as stiff as I would like. Sortta spongy. The whole front suspension has been replaced. Please advise. Any vendors you would recommend will be appreciated. The only 3 leaf springs I can find are from MACs. I'm a little nervous and confused about going with 4 or 5 leaves since the car has 3 leaves on it now. Thanks!

·
Registered
172 Posts
I replaced the leaf springs in my 65 merc cyclone with new factory oem rated springs from Eaton. I'm new to ca to rs and didn't measure the height of the car before I did the job. I estimate the back of my car was raised up 2 inches from where it was before. Eaton said they would settle over time and they probably did settle somewhat. After a year, I installed 2 inch lowering blocks to get the height where I think it should be. (with the worn out springs, I bottomed out the suspension all the time)

Eaton is helpful and might be able to set up the springs so you get new suspension and no change in the ride height.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 64 futura hardtop has what I believe to be original 3 leaf rear springs. Worn out, as well as the bushings. Before I replace them I need some advice from anyone who has installed / rebuilt the rear suspension. I do not want to disturb the ride height. The car is level front to back. The shocks are new but I notice a slight sag on the left hand side. Also the car is not as stiff as I would like. Sortta spongy. The whole front suspension has been replaced. Please advise. Any vendors you would recommend will be appreciated. The only 3 leaf springs I can find are from MACs. I'm a little nervous and confused about going with 4 or 5 leaves since the car has 3 leaves on it now. Thanks!
I have an extra set of leaf springs off a 63 Falcon 6 cylinder with 5 leafs that are in decent shape. I am also removing the leafs springs on my 63 6 cylinder (5 leafs) shortly since i am swapping everything to V8 rear end to go to 14 in wheels. Be glad to send you pictures of the spare one if you interested and I should be removing the set off the car within a month. Sell either of them for $50. Live in Vestavia/Hoover. I level mine with air shocks that work well.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks ehoward!! have already received the new leafs (4 leaf) from AutoKrafters (#C4DZ-5560J) as well as new shackle kits and all bushings, bolts etc... I will keep you in mind and thanks again for the reply .l will send pics of my car if and when I ever learn to post pics. Not too savy on the computer stuff. Gonna tackle the springs next week and hope for the best. I did do some research and looking in the workshop manual it appears the car was shipped with 4 leafs. I hope it is the correct ride height when I get er done. Stay in touch.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Finished with the rear springs today. Like 65merccyclone I notice approx. 1.5 - 2.0" lift in the rear end. Looks nice (sortta like I remember in the 60s and 70s). I put about 50 miles on em and the ride is much stiffer and handling very much improved.Like ehoward2, I am running rear air shocks on this car. I was using approx. 15psi before the spring install. I bled them down to 5 psi and got the stance back like it was before installing the springs. Very satisfied at this time. Next project is the C-4 xmision install. The 2 spd ford-o-matic leaves much to be desired. The hope to get the leaks in the power steering under control. Any ideas, advice, instructions etc is always appreciated. Keep em on the road yall. These seem to be the forgotten fords even though they gave birth to many others.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts