Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just completed a restoration of a '72 LTD. Stock 4-link rear suspension w/9" rear end but original 429 upgraded to about 450 hp/500 ft-lbs of torque. Now experiencing significant rear axle hop when punched off the line. Have been looking at upgrading lower and upper control arms and bushings but nobody seems to make them for this vehicle. Any ideas

·
Registered
57 Posts
I think I got the rear bushings for my 67 from MOOG, also you could try adding a rear sway bar to help with wheel hop and if you take the rear arm off you can box them which should also help.

Joe

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
Are you wanting rubber or poly? Can you post or email a picture of your rear suspension?

ALL of your bushings can be found in rubber at your local Autozone or Advance Auto parts. I'm sure Murrays can get them also. But your cheapest price will be at www.partsamerica.com (I love shopping there online, Ive NEVER had a problem with them
and you can't beat the price 99% of the time)

And you can have your control arms boxed (you can do it yourself if you have the tools). Cheaper and just as good as aftermarket.

We love ours.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. Looking for poly for the lower arms. have replaced the rubber in the uppers already. several folks have suggested boxing. think i will do this and convert lowers to poly bushings.

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
Get the energy suspension kit for the 72-73 Torino. Same bushings in the lower as your LTD. It's like 51 bucks @ summit.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks again and Merry Christmas. Metco makes a set of lower control arms for 72-73 torino with energy suspension bushings. Also read a tech article that said you should leave the rear upper with rubber bushings. Of course nobody makes a bolt-in replacement for the upper arm. If I purchased the Metco lower arms and left the upper arm stock do you think that would do it? Upper arm is much shorter than the lowers so I'm assuming it doesn't flex nearly as much. Max strength option would be Metco lowers plus box the upper with energy suspension bushings in it. But that might be overkill.

·
Registered
144 Posts
On 2006-12-25 08:33, wildosvt01 wrote:
Get the energy suspension kit for the 72-73 Torino. Same bushings in the lower as your LTD. It's like 51 bucks @ summit.
That kit seems to be on permanent back order.
Every time I check the Summit site, the ship date is pushed back.

RR

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
Bob, Have you checked Jegs?

aaflank,

The question is, Are the 72-73 Torino arms the same length as the LTD. Same bushing sure, But the length might be off.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good point. Torino arms are probably not the same length but I will check. In any event boxing is probably better (certainly cheaper). Main question I have now is what to do with the bushings. I have to stop the wheel hop but I also want to limit any potential increase in NVH associated with poly bushings. Did you go with poly in both your lowers and uppers? Did you notice any increase in NVH? Research seems to be conflicting; have read that all poly is great, that you can mix one poly with one rubber (each arm), and that poly lowers with rubber upper is best.

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
NVH "normally" comes into play with the upper, More so then the lowers.
I would imagine you would be loving boxed lowers and poly bushings though.

Our car has no interior right now, Nor have we ever driven it with rubber bushings out back. And the exhaust is loud with no interior.

Scott, PSIVORY should be able to help with some insight on this.

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
You know what may be helpful for you as well. Ask the same question about all points being poly in the Torino forum. The rear suspension on your car is most likly a carbon copy of a 72-73 Torino. (Actually any intermediate from 72-79) And the guys that frequent there should be able to help to the NVH question if its not answered here first.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
On 2006-12-26 02:48, aaflank wrote:
I have to stop the wheel hop but I also want to limit any potential increase in NVH associated with poly bushings.
I installed all poly in mine last year (67 Galaxie) including the shocks. I have noticed no increase in NVH, vs. the original rubber bushings that were int it. I would reccomend getting some extra lube for the poly bushings though, what they give you isn't nearly enough. (dont use anything but the lube for poly bushings, std stuff will rot them and cause increase in the dreaded NVH).

Scott

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
Well, That settles it for me.

·
Registered
183 Posts
are the Torino parts the same for a 68 as well? given that we have the weird panhard bar/LCA setup...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts